Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So here we go, the 2022 Winter Olympic Games are now open !

2021-09-21-beijing-thumbnail.jpg

China is hosting the games, and the political context behind those games is a bit stormy : in December 2021, USA and some allies have announced a diplomatic boycott of those games. Let's also notice that Russia is still under a ban (doping), and Russian athletes can only compete as independents.

Here's the ranking right now :

1. Norway ??- 2x Gold
2. Slovenia ?? - 1x Gold, 1x Bronze
3. China ?? - 1x Gold

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I decided to miss it.

Its not like I have many connections to winter games anyway, its not my turf.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
China is hosting the games, and the political context behind those games is a bit stormy : in December 2021, USA and some allies have announced a diplomatic boycott of those games. Let's also notice that Russia is still under a ban (doping), and Russian athletes can only compete as independents.
I have heard that Pak is a chief guest of this Winter Olympics, and I can't say its possible reason here as it is not the Basement. Anyway, India has not boycotted the Winter Olympics (yet) and I hope for the Indians to get medals out of this.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Did I read somewhere that the flame was lit on Beijing, during the Opening Ceremony, instead of in Olympia? If so, how did they do that, being nightime?

Or the Lightning Ceremony at Olympia is performed only for the Summer Games?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere that the flame was lit on Beijing, during the Opening Ceremony, instead of in Olympia? If so, how did they do that, being nightime

Well no, it seems it was lit in Olympia as usual. Well they have electricity and spotlights in China too, so performing the ceremony at night is not a huge problem... There might be international relations issues but those games are perfectly official and approved by the Olympic Committee, no problem about that.

bk7tajy1z8pbjd0dnlxu

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Day 2 : Scandinavia rules !

1. Norway ?? : 2x Gold, 1x Bronze
2. Sweden ?? : 2x Gold
3. ROC (unoffical Russia) ?️ : 1x Gold, 2x Silver, 2x Bronze

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, closest thing I found in the emoticons was the white flag, I don't know how hard/easy it would be to add that flag to the emoticons database ?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
1. Sweden ?? : 4x Gold, 1x Silver, 1x Bronze
2. Netherlands ?? : 3x Gold, 3x Silver, 1x Bronze
3. China ?? : 3x Gold, 2x Silver
3. Germany ?? : 3x Gold, 2x Silver

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ROC won against Switzerland 1-0, but only the ice was cold :ROFLMAO:

Beijing2022.png

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Who is ROC, Taiwan?
Yes, the official name of Taiwan is the Republic of China (ROC) (not to be confused with the People's Republic of China (PRC), the modern mainland China), as its government is the same government that once ruled mainland China from 1912 till 1949 when the ROC was defeated by Mao's party during the Chinese Civil War and the ROC had to leave the mainland to be relocated to Taipei. Mainland China (and numerous other countries) does not formally recognize the Republic of China and considers it to be China's breakaway province.

ROC (unoffical Russia) ?️
Nope, it is Taiwan. See my above comment.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think he means Russian Olympic Committee there, which is abbreviated ROC for olympic games now (since 2021). Taiwan is abbreviated TPE there.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nope, it is Taiwan. See my above comment.

Obviously not there. Don't you find a bit weird that a small island like Taiwan manages to be 3rd in the Olympic Winter Games ? Sure Jamaica had the crazy Rasta Rocket bobsleigh, but still... ?

Also you should see in the picture I posted above that the hockey players are indeed russians and not taiwanese... ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, but am I the only one, who thinks that simply switching from Russia to ROC is a bit unfair?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Seems to be very symbolic "sanction"... The thing is that there is no prize in money to win at the Olympics (and also explains that boycotting the Olympics is a way not to send a delegation and save some money)... so its a matter of flags and politics...

Michkov

Reaction score
I havn't paid attention to the Olympics since Sydney(?). But I was aware that Russia cheated in big style back in the last ones and was banned. I thought maybe that individual athletes took the old Lybian downhill ski team approach.

Seems like a toothless sanction if you just ban the flag and not the athletes imo. If you banned the athletes they may case some consternation within their NOC. The way it is now I'll predict that they will just carry on as usual.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't think it would be fair punishing those athletes that didn't cheat. But I agree, that a sanction has to be painful enough to have consequences. I would have expected the athletes to at least join another NOC to compete in 2022 and qualify on foreign ground under a different doping control system.