Question Berlin Airlift, end of the alliance, start of the Cold-War?

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
If their economy isn't communist (which I can confirm, at least for Shanghai), then their government isn't communist either. Communism is an economical system.

That's a misconception. Communism never existed on Earth as either an economy or a political system. Every government that claimed Communism as their ideology, was actually a shade of State Capitalism with less or more grade of "manual control" over the economy and the ratio of using a forced and underpaid labour (the higher ratio is the good explanation for the local "economic wonders" that surpassed what might be expected in a free marked conditions at the same place and time).

Viability of Communism itself as a rationally organized civilization that's able to produce goods at zero cost and provide equal (and virlually limitless) share of goods to any society member is still in the realm of fantasy. However, one might argue that we just don't yet have technologies advanced enough to enable that.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The deaths are absolute, the technological progress a what if. The end of the cold war did not stop technological progress.

Outstanding way to phrase it!

Humans are quite capable of building jet propulsion and moon rockets without needing some one to kill or be killed by. It's just a matter of finding a market and having willpower. Necessity is the mother of invention.

As for the post- Cold War progress: neither the USA, nor Russia launch something different into orbit, manned, soon nearly two decades after the Cold War. There is no progress beside slight changes/updates of space relicts of the cold war. The only new manned thing in the sky is a Mir volume II.

And not to mention Concorde, which rests in museums. No replacement here either. No need anymore to fund such projects. Boring times...

So what? As Urwumpe stated so precisely, Apollo and STS were sterile programs, unable to perpetuate themselves without the artificial foundations of the Cold War and the government defense industry to support them. Real progress comes when people can use space travel willingly and have a personal stake in it. STS is dying, Apollo is dead, and Constellation may be partially aborted. But the commercial comsat industry will soldier on as long as it is financially rewarding (ie. fiber optic trunks don't price it out of the market).

Concorde, of course, was another Cold War government prestige program, propped up by tax money. If it wasn't profitable to replace or upgrade it, than it needed to be shelved.

Shed no tears for sterile dead-end tech.

It's all part of the war/nationalism racket of big government. Remove all that overhead, and let those of us, spread out in multiple countries, who really care about spaceflight, team up and invest our cash in what works, instead of being seperated by border guards and forced at gunpoint to pay for missiles and nukes to aim at each other.

Because of your wonderful Cold War, Siberian Tiger's friends and my friends almost murdered everyone you and I know. We were about 30 minutes away from doing so for about 40 years, and the legacy lingers on. The missile silos aren't empty yet.

I'm not an idealist. I understand that the Cold War was better than a real war, and that historical forces pushed us into it. I also believe that MAD worked, despite the gamble. But the Cold War was also caused by human paranoia and bad judgment, and there is no way to justify the loss to human life and progress that resulted.

Their (China]) government is still communist, but their economy is capitalist.

Actually, I think of them as fascist, economically and politically. Nominal private ownership of capital, with strong government control, accompanied by nationalist propaganda.

The scary thing is that the US is getting that way, too, as the economic problems are answered by stronger government interference in our economies, along with lots of flag-waving.

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Apollo and STS were sterile programs, unable to perpetuate themselves without the artificial foundations of the Cold War and the government defense industry to support them. Real progress comes when people can use space travel willingly and have a personal stake in it. STS is dying, Apollo is dead, and Constellation may be partially aborted. But the commercial comsat industry will soldier on as long as it is financially rewarding (ie. fiber optic trunks don't price it out of the market).

Although I'm inclined to relegate myself to the Liberal camp, I'm also quite tolerant towards views of others. So I'm trying not to be arrogant and deaf towards my Red friends from our space industry too, who have a slightly different outlook of what you have just described. They say: Capitalists will strangle the space flight. And they've got a point. As long as some activity does not bring profit or is necessary for survival, it's regarded a luxury activity in Capitalist mind set. Therefore, such thing is the first one to pare off when one gets tight on money.

Unfortunately, Mars Canals and Venus Rain Forests have wandered away from reality to SF books since the first interplanetary flights. We don't have a ready to pry open door of Eldorado on the far coast of the space ocean. And our technologies don't allow us to make profit out of Solar energy, space dust and vacuum yet. Hence, space brings no money, and everything that's required to put man there are the most expensive things.

So therefore, unless you have a non market related incentive like "because I told you all so" from a dictator leader, you aren't going to take up kind of activities altogether. No matter what are your personal feelings about space and how tall your personal desire to walk on Mars is.

The totalitarian regimes we know, however, have four inherent problems: 1) the leaders can change their mind 2) the leaders themselves can change with no forward notice 3) they must constantly prepare for a war or conduct a war 4) they are likely to eventually go broke over it.

So let's refrase the previous statement in a more well-oiled way: you gotta have driving ideals to go there first and invest in seemingly hopeless projects.

In this way, the Constellation program, no matter how flawed it is, is a touchstone for American ideals right now: do you get ideals powerful enough to lead humanity to space when you have no noticeable competition, or your system will axe it as simply as it did axe Apollo?

In the latter case, the Communists are right (at least, with regard to their view of Capitalism).

Because of your wonderful Cold War, Siberian Tiger's friends and my friends almost murdered everyone you and I know. We were about 30 minutes away from doing so for about 40 years, and the legacy lingers on. The missile silos aren't empty yet.

Too true.

Actually, I think of them as fascist, economically and politically. Nominal private ownership of capital, with strong government control, accompanied by nationalist propaganda.

This way described, Chinese government is not the only fascist one in the world.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
That's a misconception. Communism never existed on Earth as either an economy or a political system. Every government that claimed Communism as their ideology, was actually a shade of State Capitalism with less or more grade of "manual control" over the economy and the ratio of using a forced and underpaid labour (the higher ratio is the good explanation for the local "economic wonders" that surpassed what might be expected in a free marked conditions at the same place and time).

Call it "Communism," "State Capitalism," "Planned Economy," or whatever you want, but whatever semantics you use to describe the system that China formerly subscribed to, China no longer uses that system.

Viability of Communism itself as a rationally organized civilization that's able to produce goods at zero cost and provide equal (and virlually limitless) share of goods to any society member is still in the realm of fantasy. However, one might argue that we just don't yet have technologies advanced enough to enable that.

I don't think its a question of technology. It's a question of human nature. However much technology you get, there will always be Stalins to turn your attempt at Ideal Communism into Totalitarian Communism (or state capitalism, or whatever). I'm just not sure that the structures of Ideal Communism are well suited to fighting off totalitarianism.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Call it "Communism," "State Capitalism," "Planned Economy," or whatever you want, but whatever semantics you use to describe the system that China formerly subscribed to, China no longer uses that system.

That was a planned and steady transition undertaken by the Party leaders who are simply seated on two chairs now: ideology and power holders and major stakeholders in the richest companies. They are the same people, however (or family members of the same people, at best). In addition, all their current prosperity is built upon labour of two generations who worked for food in a planned economy environment, which served as a starter for industry. This is simply an evolution aimed on survival of the elite in the changed outer world. Having before their eyes a spectacular fall of the USSR and chaotic free market reforms the ex-USSR countries were passing through, they had a chance to think about an evasion course.

I'm just not sure that the structures of Ideal Communism are well suited to fighting off totalitarianism.

And again, nobody knows what an Ideal Communism would be capable of, because nothing even remotely like it ever existed. The road signed "Communism" had too many side turns. All in all, it eventually turned to a never-nearing lure for the more intelligent and a dogmatic word for... the less intelligent, neither of whom ever entered the "Inner Party".

KirkUnit

Reaction score

I don't think its a question of technology. It's a question of human nature. However much technology you get, there will always be Stalins to turn your attempt at Ideal Communism into Totalitarian Communism (or state capitalism, or whatever). I'm just not sure that the structures of Ideal Communism are well suited to fighting off totalitarianism.

I think Lord Acton said it best.;)

-KU

RW"Packrat"Ray

We are all star-stuff
Reaction score
I've read a lot of tit for tat argument saying the Cold War was good for this or bad for that. Now I am going to weigh in on the subject as a Cold War veteran and armchair historian.

First off, the Cold War was. Past tense, meaning it is history. There is no need to bicker about how hard it was, wasteful it was or how many people it killed. It was certainly all of those things. In the end, it brought about a lot of suffering, not just in the underdeveloped countries, but also in the developed countries as economies collapsed and chaos took hold, no matter how brief. What is left now is to learn from the history... what was done wrong and what good was brought from it.

For some people, it was a good time. Certainly, from a global standpoint it was more peaceful, but at the cost of heavily escallated local conflicts that otherwise would have remained much smaller. But at the same time, this time of global tension caused the vast majority of things that everyone on this board is familiar with to either come into being or to come into being sooner than would have been done by economic forces alone. Conflict always increases the speed at which technology advances and just because something is developed as a military application does not mean that its not praiseworthy. History has consistantly shown that the greatest technological advances come during times of conflict.

Need some examples? Who was it that the Wright Brothers did most of their business with after Kitty Hawk? Why was the jet engine initially developed? Do you use a digital watch or a digital clock to wake up in the mornings? Got velcro on anything? How about the microwave? Do you have a book bag or backpack made of nylon? Do you use a cell phone? Is it the size of a brick? How about a digital camera? Drink anything that comes in a plastic bottle? Wear or own any cold weather gear that has Thinsulate in it?

With such a list, you might think that surely there are things in there that are not directly related to the military or the cold war. Think again. And that is without adding computers or the internet. All of these things were either brought about due to the military or refined to a degree that enabled them to get out to the masses because of it. There seems to be those who say that we should disregard these improvements because so much was wasted and so many suffered and died. Others who say these things would have come to pass without the influence of the Cold War. I disagree on both points. Not only should be use these advancements (given that we use them responsibly), but we should acknowledge that these things would only be in our hands today because of the global stress that we all went through during that time. Our "Duck and Cover" essentially paid for these things... I don't see the need to be sorry for them.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
And again, nobody knows what an Ideal Communism would be capable of, because nothing even remotely like it ever existed. The road signed "Communism" had too many side turns. All in all, it eventually turned to a never-nearing lure for the more intelligent and a dogmatic word for... the less intelligent, neither of whom ever entered the "Inner Party".

Agreed. My point is that there are enough side turns towards totalitarianism along that road, and enough leaders for whom leading their societies down those side roads is an attractive option, that ideal communism is pretty much unatainable.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Need some examples?
With such a list, you might think that surely there are things in there that are not directly related to the military or the cold war.

Haha.

Do you use a digital watch or a digital clock to wake up in the mornings?

Yeah, had it in 1988.

Got velcro on anything?

Not in the Soviet Union.

How about the microwave?

Not in the Soviet Union.

Do you have a book bag or backpack made of nylon?

Not always available in the Soviet Union.

Do you use a cell phone?

Not in the Soviet Union.

Is it the size of a brick?

Not in the Soviet Union.

How about a digital camera?

Not in the Soviet Union.

Drink anything that comes in a plastic bottle?

Not in the Soviet Union.

Wear or own any cold weather gear that has Thinsulate in it?

Not in the Soviet Union.

But rockets were produced like sausages at the same time...

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
There seems to be those who say that we should disregard these improvements because so much was wasted and so many suffered and died.

Who is saying this? Certainly no one who has posted in this thread is saying we shouldn't use technology just because it was spawned in the Cold War.

RW"Packrat"Ray said:
Others who say these things would have come to pass without the influence of the Cold War. I disagree on both points. Not only should be use these advancements (given that we use them responsibly), but we should acknowledge that these things would only be in our hands today because of the global stress that we all went through during that time.

Please explain your theory of how inventing velcro and an internet is not possible without a nuclear standoff.

You are repeating the broken window fallacy, by stating that technological advances cannot come to pass without a lengthy, expensive, and outright dangerous military confrontation, and the attendant loss of lives and liberty that comes with it.

The fact is that money spent on defense is money lost. The defense industry produces no goods and services; it is at best a necessary drain on resources to protect against outside threats. It does produce spinoffs, but these are merely secondary benefits and are never the primary reason for the spending. Velcro and Tang would've been a lot cheaper to invent without having to build a Saturn V to carry it. I acknowledge that some defense spending is required, especially during the Cold War. But had there been no Cold War than that capital would've been freed up to be spent on innovations for everyday people, instead of soldiers and government-employed space explorers.

You are correct if you are saying that what we have today would not the same without the Cold War, of course. Change history and the form of technological advances change with it. But to say there's no way we could have this stuff is not logical.

RW"Packrat"Ray

We are all star-stuff
Reaction score
Haha.

Yeah, had it in 1988.

Not in the Soviet Union.

Not in the Soviet Union.

Not always available in the Soviet Union.

Not in the Soviet Union.

Not in the Soviet Union.

Not in the Soviet Union.

Not in the Soviet Union.

Not in the Soviet Union.

But rockets were produced like sausages at the same time...

But now it isn't the Soviet Union. Tell me, are these things there now?

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Who is saying this? Certainly no one who has posted in this thread is saying we shouldn't use technology just because it was spawned in the Cold War.

Well, you, for one. I said seems... which is that I meant that your argument that insisting that everyone else argues the so-called "broken window fallacy", you imply that we should spurn those things which are ill-gotten through the suffering of others. Even if you do not actually buy into that yourself, the implication is there.

Please explain your theory of how inventing velcro and an internet is not possible without a nuclear standoff.
I never said they weren't possible. What I was stating is that they came to us when they did and how they did as a result of these things. Please, show me how these things would have come about if not for the 50 years of standoff? How long would we have had to wait for corporate competition to have brought these about. And while you are computing that, be sure to consider the following-- 1) without war or the threat of war, industry would NOT be geared to high production 2) isolationism breeds stagnation in the lack of a threat 3) the corporate culture of post-WWII was considerably less oreinted toward technology.

Further, consider that the Cold War was, in and of itself, a direct result of WWII, and WWII was a direct result of the Treaty of Versailles, which ended WWI. So, how far back to you want to take the whole show? If you want to argue that the Cold War was unnecessary to the progress of technology, then you also have to do the same for both World Wars. So, from a buisness, technological, historical and scientific standpoint, we have to assume technology would not have progressed at nearly as fast a rate as it has since 1916. How about we look at the achievements from 1846 to 1916 and see the rate at which technology increased. Then apply that increase to the years 1917 to 1987. Where are we? Hmmmm. Oh wait, I see a problem with this... there were some wars between 1846 and 1916 that influenced the rate at which technology rose. Well, that's ok, we can always find a period in history during a peaceful time when technology rose by leaps and bounds, can't we? Well, can't we?

You are repeating the broken window fallacy, by stating that technological advances cannot come to pass without a lengthy, expensive, and outright dangerous military confrontation, and the attendant loss of lives and liberty that comes with it.

Because you keep using the "broken window fallacy" so much, let us define what you mean. In 1850, a Frenchman by the name of Frédéric Bastiat provided the following story:

Have you ever witnessed the anger of the good shopkeeper, James Goodfellow, when his careless son happened to break a pane of glass? If you have been present at such a scene, you will most assuredly bear witness to the fact, that every one of the spectators, were there even thirty of them, by common consent apparently, offered the unfortunate owner this invariable consolation—"It is an ill wind that blows nobody good. Everybody must live, and what would become of the glaziers if panes of glass were never broken?"
Now, this form of condolence contains an entire theory, which it will be well to show up in this simple case, seeing that it is precisely the same as that which, unhappily, regulates the greater part of our economical institutions.
Suppose it cost six francs to repair the damage, and you say that the accident brings six francs to the glazier's trade—that it encourages that trade to the amount of six francs—I grant it; I have not a word to say against it; you reason justly. The glazier comes, performs his task, receives his six francs, rubs his hands, and, in his heart, blesses the careless child. All this is that which is seen.
But if, on the other hand, you come to the conclusion, as is too often the case, that it is a good thing to break windows, that it causes money to circulate, and that the encouragement of industry in general will be the result of it, you will oblige me to call out, "Stop there! Your theory is confined to that which is seen; it takes no account of that which is not seen."
It is not seen that as our shopkeeper has spent six francs upon one thing, he cannot spend them upon another. It is not seen that if he had not had a window to replace, he would, perhaps, have replaced his old shoes, or added another book to his library. In short, he would have employed his six francs in some way, which this accident has prevented.

Now, what I have said was simply this. The Cold War is a part of history. Like all history, it is something we can learn from. Like the man said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." (George Santayana for anyone who wants to look that up) In addition to that, I have stated that it is an historical fact that conflict has cultivated advances in technology. What I have not said is that this is the best way to advance technology. Therefore, your stating that I am just using the "Broken window fallacy" again is an incorrect conclusion.

The fact is that money spent on defense is money lost. The defense industry produces no goods and services; it is at best a necessary drain on resources to protect against outside threats. It does produce spinoffs, but these are merely secondary benefits and are never the primary reason for the spending. Velcro and Tang would've been a lot cheaper to invent without having to build a Saturn V to carry it. I acknowledge that some defense spending is required, especially during the Cold War. But had there been no Cold War than that capital would've been freed up to be spent on innovations for everyday people, instead of soldiers and government-employed space explorers.

Lets see... Money spent on defense is money lost... and... The defense industry produces no goods and services. Can you back these two statements up? Oh, I will grant you that defense spending is overly bloated and a drain of resources -- but that is not the industry itself as much as human greed. The research going into defense spending, the actual deep research, turns out products with a whole myriad of non-defense applications. Often times before practical defense applications exist, the civilian market finds something which is put to practical use in the marketplace. But velcro and tang being cheaper? Sure, they might not even exist. Keep in mind that if it weren't for the military applications, man would not have likely breached the sound barrier -- everyone felt that it was a solid barrier and quite nearly everyone who had breached it prior to Chuck Yeager died. How's that for grounding things a little.

You are correct if you are saying that what we have today would not the same without the Cold War, of course. Change history and the form of technological advances change with it. But to say there's no way we could have this stuff is not logical.

Thank you for the acknowledgement that I said at least some small thing right. But you did not take what I said quite as clearly as I had hoped. At no time did I ever say that there was no way we could have this stuff. What I did say is that there is a lot less likelihood we would have this stuff when we did.

Do the ends justify the means? Is the little boy the public benefactor? Does the technology gained from the Cold War make the world any better? Those are questions for each reader to decide for themselves. History will attend to itself.

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
But now it isn't the Soviet Union. Tell me, are these things there now?

Yes, they are - once the Cold War is over and our economy has become more or less like a worldwide standard.

My point is that you should thank other things that the Cold War and military technology advances themselves for all the things you listed. They only produce crumbs that fall down from the table and entrepreneurs are there to pick the crumbs up and make use of them. If you don't have this chain, a thing like a Cold War going on doesn't do much good to yourself.

RW"Packrat"Ray

We are all star-stuff
Reaction score
Yes, they are - once the Cold War is over and our economy has become more or less like a worldwide standard.

My point is that you should thank other things that the Cold War and military technology advances themselves for all the things you listed. They only produce crumbs that fall down from the table and entrepreneurs are there to pick the crumbs up and make use of them. If you don't have this chain, a thing like a Cold War going on doesn't do much good to yourself.
I can agree with that. My supposition is that the Cold War was the impetus that pushed the advancement of the base technologies. And its not that I am thanking the Cold War, I am mearly observing the forces and patterns in history.

KirkUnit

Reaction score
How about the microwave?

Actually the microwave oven is a classic example of an "accidental" invention. It was not developed for the military and since the orginal units weighed slightly over 700 pounds, NASA (actually the NACA) had little interest in it. It was developed and suceeded in the civilian market place first.
;)

-KU

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It was also not accidentally invented during the cold war, but still during the second world war, when a radar engineer suddenly had molten chocolate.

RW"Packrat"Ray

We are all star-stuff
Reaction score
Actually the microwave oven is a classic example of an "accidental" invention. It was not developed for the military and since the orginal units weighed slightly over 700 pounds, NASA (actually the NACA) had little interest in it. It was developed and suceeded in the civilian market place first.
;)

-KU

I included it, not as a direct military invention, but as a result of military technology.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

It was also not accidentally invented during the cold war, but still during the second world war, when a radar engineer suddenly had molten chocolate.
The effect was, indeed, identified during WWII, but it was not developed into a working and useful item until afterward. The patent was not even filed until October 8th, 1945

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I included it, not as a direct military invention, but as a result of military technology.

While radar was military technology, the magnetrons which are the critical component for microwaves and WW2-radar (today we use TWTs), are a civilian invention for radio communications. It just got further improved to the power outputs by military research, as there was not yet a market for magnetron based communication gear.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
RW"Packrat"Ray said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy44

Well, you, for one. I said seems... which is that I meant that your argument that insisting that everyone else argues the so-called "broken window fallacy", you imply that we should spurn those things which are ill-gotten through the suffering of others. Even if you do not actually buy into that yourself, the implication is there.

Of course I knew you were talking about me, but just as Moonwalker misunderstood me, so have you. I do not spurn, and do not condone spurning, any technology produced by the Cold War, or even data from Nazi scientists for that matter. Data is morally neutral; even if obtained by wicked means there's no shame in using it for peaceful purposes.

Please go back and quote the exact post in which I said you should spurn Cold War tech.

RW"Packrat"Ray said:
Please, show me how these things would have come about if not for the 50 years of standoff? How long would we have had to wait for corporate competition to have brought these about.

I'm not the one trying to justify the Cold War, so I don't have to show anything. It is up to you to prove that humans need to be at each others' throats in order to invent stuff at a rate fast enough to satisfy you.

As for waiting for corporate competition to produce innovation, it's very simple: if you really need velcro or a Space Shuttle for something, than there is a market for it, and you or someone else would've produced it. If not, than we really didn't need it anyway, did we?

It's the free market concept, and it's one of the things that we were ostensibly trying to defend during the Cold War. Ironic that those who think the Cold War was beneficial should forget this so easily, but not surprising since the worst legacy of the conflict was the acceptance of authority and allegience to the State over individual liberty, which many Cold War vets* take for granted.

About the broken window fallacy: Velcro is useful, of course, but not if you are one of the unfortunates who failed to survive the Cold War's various regional conflicts.

*The term "vet" as applied to the Cold War is a curious one, since those who served in the military during a Cold War rarely see any actual shooting combat, while almost all civilans were at risk of being killed directly or indirectly by nuclear weapons and their effects. Thus the argument could be made that anyone who lived through the Cold War is a "veteran" since they were all at risk of being vaporised or irradiated, regardless of their service in a military organization, and that being in the military gives you no special incite into this conversation. It's a discussion about history and economic theory, after all, not a shooting war.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Some time later...

Berlin airlift: Ceremony to mark 70th anniversary, in pictures
Dignitaries from around the world have gathered in Berlin to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the end of the Berlin airlift.
The Soviet Union entirely blockaded the western parts of the German capital in June 1948, when the country and the city were divided into US, UK, French and Soviet occupation zones after World War II.
Allied forces managed to wholly supply people in the city by air for nearly a year, with the USSR finally ending the closures on 12 May 1949.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48243177