News Bigelow and NASA. Irony?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So, Bigelow sells NASA something that NASA used to have? I love it.

Used to have is a bit too much. They have developed the basic technology, but the testing and further refinement had been done by Bigelow, just like he also does the production there. I would say it is fair. Not really wise, but 18 million for a space station module is a bargain.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I was thinking that Bigelow bought all the IP rights to the Transhab after it was cancelled (albeit years later).

Bigelow then hires on a few of the engineers that were involved in the initial development and pretty much perfects the technology with their two demonstrators (Genesis I and II), so much that they skip Genesis III and go for the construction of their full size module for the 2015 launch (pushed back a few years from their initial target, but still...).

But yes I agree, a large station module for $18 Million is a steal. This adds credit to the idea that a private company can actually save some taxpayer dollars, while NASA concentrates on their tasks of science and exploration (et al).

And, thanks to hlynkacg, it exists here for us orbinauts! [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5247"]TransHab Module v1.0[/ame]

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
It's an empty module, save for environmental systems, and the inflation mechanisim. A giant empty closet for trash. Two years later it gets thrown away.

NASA, like Tom Sawyer painting the fence, got tired of taking out the trash, and convinced the neighborhood kids that "they couldn't do it as an expensive job, that's NASAs gig!".

Yeah OK NASA started it, but hey, at least it's getting done.