Discussion Cargo Hopper WiP Comments?

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Spent some time knocking this up and wondered if I should spend any more time on it.

It is an unmanned cargo vessel designed for use on the moon. Remotely controlled via MFD's, in particular Hover MFD. Will hold 8 Light, or 4 heavy DG4 cargo containers allowing 4 to be off loaded and 4 to act as resupply for a DG4 in a single operation. Can also be used to move cargo from a main base to an out post.

Will need UMMU when it comes out for "2016"

Has 2 main engines and a single hover engine aided by RCS jets. XY and Z cameras. The "Ice Cream Cone" houses the array of comms gear needed. Finally it has two external fuel tanks.
Batteries, fuel lines and electronics are housed in the "Trays" which make up the main Racking

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
VERY slick design. No frills, no fancy bits and bobs, just sheer practicality.

10/10, would continue.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Nice thing, but I think the main engine is redundant. Hover can do everything you need.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nice thing, but I think the main engine is redundant. Hover can do everything you need.

I agree. Stronger translational thrusters would be a better option maybe to make landing easier. Generally not needed, because rotation is enough for landing, but with stronger translational thrusters, the spacecraft is more agile.

But generally, it is so minimalistic and functional, it should work. Maybe add a landing radar on the bottom to measure ground speed. Also the landing gear could cover a larger area for stability. The current shape of the legs looks like a mule robot, but that is not really the best shape for landing. Its a better shape for walking.

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
form follows function

In this case its just not true. What you are looking at is just another mesh to sit on top of the code for a ShuttlePB. Some time ago I started to follow the "Learn C++" course by Hlynkacg and the idea came from that.

I see the craft being controlled using HoverMFD, BaseSync et al. As such it needs the Autopilot buttons for Prograde, KillRot and the like. So I intend to steal as much code as I can. The one thing I did learn, big time, is how the mesh has very little to do with the actual function.

It needs a big hover engine because of HoverMFD!
It needs a main engine for the other MFD's.
I like my legs !! plus HoverMFD will sort out my soft landing. I just wish I could figure out how to animate the scissor action I imagine them to have. plus it is the reason why I have 8 RCS engines for hover.

Much of the form is also dictated too by my "skill, lack of, programmer for the use of".

Please do not think this is just me getting all defensive having asked for comments. Rather I am just explaining my thinking and accepting the limits of my skill. It will end up as a Spacecraft4 craft I think but I still need to get back into learning that as well.

Of course it needs UMMU to pick up cargo and as such I dream of the day Dan releases some new code for "2016".

Please keep up the comments, I have thick skin.

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Installed the craft as a scenery using OBM just to see how it renders and was too to pleased with the result, it needed to be smoother!
During the making of it I have tried to keep the poly count down, it now has a poly count of 12000 or so. Thinking this way too high I looked at some other models and was very surprised at their count and number of groups used.
The LER4 Lunar Electric Rover runs to around 100,000
The Dragon capsule alone is about 12000.

In short, would this add-on still be acceptable at 48000 poly count or should I let it just fade away.

paddy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Think this is its final form
picture.php