Question Cassini End-of-Life Escape Trajectories to the Outer Planets

rappolee

Reaction score
using trajectory optimizing tools design our own Cassini end of mission tours!
I have a PDF document with the above title, however its to large to up load here, this astrodynamics paper shows possible trajectory from Saturn orbit to Jupiter,Uranus and Neptune.
I would like to design a flight to one of the Trojan's Hektor perhaps.The paper is by Okutsu et al

CASSINI END-OF-LIFE ESCAPE TRAJECTORIES TO THE
OUTER PLANETS

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/624_Hektor"]624 Hektor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

imagine an image of a contact binary coming from Cassini

Last edited:

rappolee

Reaction score
Where did you find this? I can only find Saturn impact trajectories...

I was on the OPAG decadal survey site,found a reference to cassini extended tour astrodynamics planning papers, I found the authors name and goggled it, emailed his university addressed and asked him for a copy!
our site says the PDF document is to large to post here.
Arrowstar suggested I start some topics on how we can do some mission design with his new trajectory tool,
so moderators how can I post this document?( and should I ?)its copyrighted
or perhaps IM me with a email contact and I whttp://orbiter-forum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=233249ill send it to you?

the paper states that in the 2018-2022 time frame there are titan gravity assists from Saturn to Jupiter of 9 years planetary cruise, Uranus and Neptune are 30 years out!
so I thought, I would like to see a Binary contact Trojan! can you imagine the image in your minds eye!:thumbup:
the paper suggests that future missions could plan for multiple planets,we could use Triton to eject a orbiter to go see Centaurs or Neptune Trojans ( not sure about a assist from a retrograde moon)
I think the trajectory tools on this site could make for some great fun and opportunity
I want to research the locations of the pioneer and voyager solid third stages for example.......................but that would be another thread!
see my avatar for ideas:)