Announcement Changes for Political & Religious Topics - "The Basement"

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So why not have a special forum for flamewars? Only two posters allowed in each thread. Call it the "Thunderdome".

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
What about borderline spaceflight/politics issues?

This isn't just conjecture. Space stuff gets political. Like Constellation program, SLS, James Webb Telescope funding, the role of commercial space ventures, etc...

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Thanks for pointing this out. It's a slight permissions problem I over looked. For some reason, your primary group being anything except Verified Member causes the Basement to remain hidden, even after you joined the group. I fixed your account now, so you should see the forum.

Allow me to see if there is a quicker way to fix this for everyone else who has a different primary group as well, otherwise I'll have to change all of them one by one.

Thank you, it works for me now.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thank god I always thought that talking about politics would start flame wars. Thanks for removing the section from new users

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
What about borderline spaceflight/politics issues?

This isn't just conjecture. Space stuff gets political. Like Constellation program, SLS, James Webb Telescope funding, the role of commercial space ventures, etc...

If it gets political, then it will be moved to the Basement.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
There has been a little confusion with the Basement which is probably my fault for failing to spell out, more clearly, what is allowed and is not. So, without further ado, here you go:

The Basement Rules:

1. The Basement is for political and religious topics in which members are free to post with virtually no moderation. We are not concerned about trolling, flame wars, off-topic posts, or indescriptive thread titles. However, direct attacks against a person, group, or country will not be allowed. For example, ("you're a retard," etc.) or ("Americans are retards," etc.) is considered an attack. If you've been attacked or believe someone else has been, then you must report the post so the staff can review it and take any necessary action. Attack posts will be removed and an infraction will be issued the first time, followed by lost access to the Basement there after.

2. Discussing Orbiter-Forum staff action in the Basement is absolutely not allowed, the same as any other forum! If you have a question about a post removed from anywhere on the bulletin board or about an infraction or ban issued, then you must contact an admin or moderator, in private, by sending them a PM!

3. What is posted in the Basement, STAYS IN THE BASEMENT!! That means, talking about a thread or posts from the Basement in the chat box or any other thread on the bulletin board is NOT allowed! We're trying to avoid any of the nastiness bound to be posted in the Basement from spilling into other forums or chat areas. Any spillage from the Basement to any other part of the bulletin board will lead to a swift kick to the knee and lost access to the Basement! We are not kidding here either. If you like posting in the Basement, then it better stay in there or you will lose access to it.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
If it gets political, then it will be moved to the Basement.
Then all threads about NASA's future, SLS, JWST, Orion & CCDev updates may need to be moved, but then I won't post any news there any more, but just on the ChatBox. :p

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Thanks for removing the section from new users

The Basement section is not removed from new users. It is available to anyone regardless of posts but you have to enable it in your UserCP section.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Then all threads about NASA's future, SLS, JWST, Orion & CCDev updates may need to be moved, but then I won't post any news there any more, but just on the ChatBox. :p

And I hope the expectation of your valuable input getting lost will in the end convince folks - interested in civil discussion on space flight topics - to let politics (and religion!) out of that equation.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
orb said:

We will make that call on a case by case basis. If it's a thread getting heated because of politics, then it would be better in the Basement. If the politics remain calm and on-topic with the spaceflight section, then it will stay.

RichWall

Sage Brush
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And I hope the expectation of your valuable input getting lost will in the end convince folks - interested in civil discussion on space flight topics - to let politics (and religion!) out of that equation.

It's Amazing when to know where that line is, I don't.

Censorship is a dangerous game.

Last edited:

GigaG

Reaction score
So let me get this straight - the basement can be trolled and whatnot?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him

No. It is simply an area of reduced moderation on politically sensitive topics.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
We will make that call on a case by case basis. If it's a thread getting heated because of politics, then it would be better in the Basement. If the politics remain calm and on-topic with the spaceflight section, then it will stay.

I'm wondering if "NASA's Future: The War Continues" belongs in the Basement.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
I can move it there, but don't expect any new news from me posted on that thread. I observed that political discussions start on that thread after I post some news about NASA's future, so unless someone else will post news there, there will be no discussion. :p

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

The best way I can answer that is to point you to the first rule of the Basement:
1. The Basement is for political and religious topics in which members are free to post with virtually no moderation. We are not concerned about trolling, flame wars, off-topic posts, or indescriptive thread titles. However, direct attacks against a person, group, or country will not be allowed. For example, ("you're a retard," etc.) or ("Americans are retards," etc.) is considered an attack.

We could certainly move it there, but we are trying to give you all some leeway. Clearly spaceflight topics require some sort of political mention from time to time, but if it goes down hill, then either the entire thread will be moved to the Basement or we might split the thread where the politics took over.