China Says Work Under Way to Mitigate Space Junk

Chipstone306

Reaction score
Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
China is full of it. They created the largest cloud of space junk in recent years, and did it on purpose as a demonstration. This is just politics.

As for trash on Mars, what trash? Everything we put there is very expensive equipment. It'd be worth $$$ on ebay, if you could get it. Besides, wouldn't you rather dump trash on Mars, where nobody lives, or would you rather soil your own nest?

Open the Great Mars Landfill! Do it now!

Chipstone306

Reaction score
China is full of it. They created the largest cloud of space junk in recent years, and did it on purpose as a demonstration. This is just politics.

As for trash on Mars, what trash? Everything we put there is very expensive equipment. It'd be worth $$$ on ebay, if you could get it. Besides, wouldn't you rather dump trash on Mars, where nobody lives, or would you rather soil your own nest?

Open the Great Mars Landfill! Do it now!

Who's to say that that is not something elses nest?;)

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Trash on Mars shouldn't be much of a problem. Recycle everything, the remaining 5% you can't, just shoot into, then out of Mars orbit. Use electricity to split the CO2 atmosphere into O2 and use Hydrogen from either Mars water, or from Earth and create a methane/oxygen fuel and shoot stuff into deep space, or the sun.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I agree, putting some of our trash on Mars is a much better solution than continuing to spoil our planet with it. Some will disagree saying it's not our planet so we have no right to make that decision, but if I had to choose between trashing Earth or Mars I'm afraid Mars would win everytime in my book. :p

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I agree, putting some of our trash on Mars is a much better solution than continuing to spoil our planet with it. Some will disagree saying it's not our planet so we have no right to make that decision, but if I had to choose between trashing Earth or Mars I'm afraid Mars would win everytime in my book. :p

Well, dont you think sending trash back to earth would be better...

Because, see earth has a limited, (though large) resource pile when we send our resources there, cannot we just send it to space, then turn it around and send it back, then have it burn up in reentry and it will be cycled back to earth. Is this better or am I missing something?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Hopefully we won't have to make that choice.

On the other hand, the amount of stuff left behind by a manned Mars mission (or more) would be fairly trivial in the overall scheme of things. In fact, if this stuff was ever found again by future explorers of the planet, it would be treasure. Look at how valuable historical relics here on Earth are.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Hopefully we won't have to make that choice.

On the other hand, the amount of stuff left behind by a manned Mars mission (or more) would be fairly trivial in the overall scheme of things. In fact, if this stuff was ever found again by future explorers of the planet, it would be treasure. Look at how valuable historical relics here on Earth are.

:)

Good point, I wonder how much the legs of the Apollo 11 would be in $$$:lol:

must be a-LOT :lol:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh well yes, but if your idea is to occupy mars, then youd have to also get water their and plants to create o2. ;)

Well, first heat the planet up. Then there are certain types of algae that create oxygen. Deploy them there. This is all conceptual you know, we don't have the technology at the moment to go about doing it.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Well, first heat the planet up. Then there are certain types of algae that create oxygen. Deploy them there. This is all conceptual you know, we don't have the technology at the moment to go about doing it.

:lol:

all it takes is some will...

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:lol:

all it takes is some will...

Haha...And Money. Lots and lots of money. ;)

tbxland said:
Methane is given off by rotting organic matter. There is very little that would be left behind by a Mars mission that would rot.

Well, send your rotting food there then. ;) A very dirty, toxic planet is easier to manage then a cold dead planet.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Rotting food is the stuff we use to feed our pigs, do you want our pigs to starve?;) :lol:

Yes, and when they are dead of starvation, send their rotting remains up there as well. :rofl: