Connecting my RC Transmitter to orbiter

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
HI there i am seeing if any one has managed to connect an rc aircraft transmitter to use as a set of joysticks with orbiter.

I have a transmitter i got with a dragonfly helicopter, and i am running vista

i did try a prog called ppjoy but i could not to get it to work with vista.

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Hello J_Aerospace,

Yes I have successfully used the PPJoy joystick driver with my own RC transmitter, and my home-made parallel port <-> transmitter interface cable. But I did this using WinXP, so I'm not sure why it won't work with Vista.

What exactly doesn't work, is is just in Orbiter, or don't you see the axis move (in windows joystick configuration/calibration) at all? Does your transmitter support the PPM signal output?
The problem might also be the cable, did you make it yourself? If so, do you have the schematic for it?
At first, my cable didn't work too. It was the usual resistor/Zener diode method, but once I switched over to the transistor method, it did work fine.

regards,
mcduck

PS: This site explains the correct configuration of PPJoy in XP (maybe parts of this are the same in vista).

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are wireless game controllers available off the shelf. I have a cordless Logitech Rumblepad, which works fine. I only wish it had a throttle slider...

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
There are wireless game controllers available off the shelf. I have a cordless Logitech Rumblepad, which works fine. I only wish it had a throttle slider...
The wireless part is actually not the point here, we are talking about connecting a (wireless ;)) RC transmitter to the PC using a wire..
The advantage of this, is that you have quite some controllable axes available on your pc this way.
A (regular) RC helicopter transmitter has at least 4 control axes. I have a more advanced transmitter too, however I personally don't use it for orbiter. But I do use it sometimes for RC plane simulators, to practice helicopter or plane manouvres before I try it on my real ones..

regards,
mcduck