Request Could some one make an MFD that allows you to change the vessels textures?

The Void

Workin hard on my next project
Reaction score
This is possibly my greatest idea yet so if anyone is up to it how about making and MFD that recognizes your vessel and searches through the correct texture folder (textues or textures 2) which ever folder the textures for the vessel is in and allows you to change it without having to add it manually before each flight. If it's possible I'd like to see it happen I'm sure everyone would like it.

Tommy

Reaction score
Short answer, pretty sure it's no.

Textures are loaded at the start of the Simulation. Some vessels have the ability to change skins via the scenario editor - but that requires custom coding in the vessels module.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, as it was debated a lot of times, things as textures modifications should not be set via a MFD. MFD should be used for navigation tools / subsystems management.

I would rather imagine a plugin that add a dialog box in the scenario editor vessel page, like it is done with the DeltaGliderIV.

Remember : you can do almost anything with the API. Adding new menus, dialog boxes allowing to do nearly anything... MFDs are a small part of it.

Tommy

Reaction score
Did some quick research, but it's entirely possible the following theory is wrong:

AFAIK, unless the vessel module supports texture re-loading (the API doesn't seem to offer a "generic" means to do this from outside the vessel module), the only way to force the new texture would be to delete and recreate the vessel. Fuel levels (at least ones using standard "propellant resources") could be re-created, but without access to the vessel's module there doesn't seem to be any way to account for UMMU or UCGO cargos loaded on the vessel.

Of course, it's entirely possible that someone smarter than I can figure out a way to do it.

The Void

Workin hard on my next project
Reaction score
Yes I realize this, I didn't mean MFD I was half asleep in lala land :lol: when it popped in my head, but what popped in my head was more of a system like the DGIV setup when you edit it using scenario editor maybe I'll look at it myself and see how it works.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
This may be slight off-topic, but how does the stock DG's tail-number thing work? The texture changes depending on the name of the vessel.
It's done by DeltaGlider's module, and it isn't using a texture, but a font. To check how it's actually being done see DeltaGlider::PaintMarkings method in DeltaGlider.cpp in OrbiterSDK DeltaGlider sample.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
It's done by DeltaGlider's module, and it isn't using a texture, but a font. To check how it's actually being done see DeltaGlider::PaintMarkings method in DeltaGlider.cpp in OrbiterSDK DeltaGlider sample.

You could also consider getting a font editor and creating mini pics from the charactors, stringing together to form an image. Symbols and such. And then use them instead of the font that says hello.