News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marijn

Reaction score
My employer says everybody should sneeze in their elbow.

One of my collegues in my office room at 6ft distance is a muslim who visists a huge mosk before work, during work and after work.

He says that our time will come when it comes.

On the radio, I heard that the chairman of the Moroccan mosks has made a statement advising their members to adapt the 'western standards' or something like that. I don't think he has listened.

This situation is unacceptable to me with the information we have now. I am working from home since monday.

Now there is a confirmed case in home isolation 1.5km from my house.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
All Italian schools and universities will be closed from tomorrow until March 15th.

Mantis

Reaction score
How about none of the above? The world will go on as usual.

I would also point out that the virus is not called "Corona", "The Corona virus" or "The Coronavirus". It drives me nuts when the media keeps propagating those incorrect names.

The term coronavirus describes an entire class of viruses. Most of them do nothing to human beings or just cause the common cold. The virus we are seeing now is called SARS-CoV-2 or SARS Coronavirus Type 2. It causes a disease known as COVID-19 or Coronavirus Infectious Disease 2019. It has a case fatality rate of around 2% with around 80% of cases being mild and requiring no hospitalization or intensive treatment. Those most affected are the elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I really wouldn't be so flippant about a disease that has infected 95,000 and killed over 3,000. Sure, it's probably not the doomsday scenario Western media is hyping it up to be, but being so glib about human suffering isn't really great. There's a place for gallows humor, but empathy is important.

I, personally, think the virus has probably spread a lot more than is currently reported and most people experience it asymptotically or with very mild symptoms. Why that worries me is that while statistically I'll be fine, I could unknowingly infect people who won't be fine.

So, wash your hands. If you're sick, stay home and away from people. If people around you are sick, keep yourself well and try to stay away from people.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I really wouldn't be so flippant about a disease that has infected 95,000 and killed over 3,000.

Just remember that the first number is only counting the confirmed cases. We don't know how many have been infected with only mild or no symptoms at all. We only know of those who got ill enough to go to a doctor and then get tested for the virus.

It could be a far lower ratio than the 3% you see from the current "intermediate" data.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Just remember that the first number is only counting the confirmed cases. We don't know how many have been infected with only mild or no symptoms at all. We only know of those who got ill enough to go to a doctor and then get tested for the virus.

It could be a far lower ratio than the 3% you see from the current "intermediate" data.
I agree. In my later point I said that I see this probably being a lot more prevalent than reported but for most it could be asymptomatic or very mild.

What I was taking specific issue with is an attitude I perceived as downplaying that this has had real human costs and perhaps being glib about it is a bad idea. I don't think anyone should freak out, but this is a situation with a lot of unknowns and it will probably kill and sicken a lot more people.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I live in Milan, so basically it's one of the hearts of red zones here in Italy... the city has been ghost for a week, but now it s turning back to normal life because people just can't keep staying home for more than a week or so. the traffic turned from ghost to wild becaues first everybody stayed at home then nobody wants to use public transportation.

beyond fatality rate the bigger issue IMO is the fact that 20% of the positive tests (just counting the tests, not the infected) needs to be hospitalized, and half of them needs intensive care. If you don't contain it the hospitals just can't hold them, that's why in China they built an hospital in 10 days.
The fact that other countries are playing down the numbers by avoiding tests at all costs is a policy that can help them on the international image now, but with the risk of a far worse situation later...
Anyway people are not used to crisis, there hasn't been a war for almost 100 years so nobody is used to any kind of risk and people are either over reacting or under reacting, I can't find a person who deals with this rationally around...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Around here there are 6 cases, but other than the media and politicians nobody cares much.
I too feel like that, so far normal life.

Perhaps perception will change if the cases jump to hundreds and the hospitals have no place to put the patients.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
People really go nuts here. The next case is still miles away in Uetze (about 50 km) and its a single person right now.

But guess what: Toilet Paper has become a rarity. (Exactly the thing I have forgotten to buy twice now since returning to Wolfsburg)

I have no idea why people need so much toilet paper when they :censored: in their pants. Diapers would be a better choice.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Media is having a wonderful time here.
How to protect yourself in a coffee shop, including using hand sanitizer.
We are on a bus now, trying to avoid touching surfaces. Try that on the local buses round here and you'll be in A&E before you can say "Carrooonaaah!"

Madness.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Media is having a wonderful time here.
How to protect yourself in a coffee shop, including using hand sanitizer.
We are on a bus now, trying to avoid touching surfaces. Try that on the local buses round here and you'll be in A&E before you can say "Carrooonaaah!"

Madness.

Many events here are getting cancelled or moved into the summer right now. The huge Hanover Industry Fair for example this month will now take place in July.

Also the regular employees assembly of Volkswagen is likely getting cancelled, the one of my employer has just been cancelled.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Advices to protect against coronavirus

Wash your hands, and cook everything to the temperature it needs to be. You'll be fine.

Also, don't touch the chairs. Wear mask when you are out. If you have cough and cold, call the doctor urgently.

Edit: Apologies for my behavior on coronavirus, I am very scary to see the reduction of the world population!

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I would think so, its more for the droplets from sneezing I think?

Gingin

Reaction score
I would think so, its more for the droplets from sneezing I think?

Exactly.
To wear a mask just to wear it is just adding to the paranoia.
It is to avoid coughing people to spread it around.

If you don’t cough and wear a normal mask, it will not protect about getting sick.
Especially if you put your fingers behind it to touch your nose or eyes like I saw many times....

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If you don’t cough and wear a normal mask, it will not protect about getting sick.

Exactly.

Also, either you wear a comfortable mask the whole day - then you are not protecting yourself, but actually collecting lots of bacterias and viruses when the mask gets wet from our breath.

Or you wear an uncomfortable mask with special filter. That makes breathing harder, but allows you to protect yourself for a long time. You will just not like it and without special endurance training, you might be out of breath after a short time.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Now they are even considering cancelling the Eurovision Song Contest in Rotterdam.

The ESC 2020.

Really.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, that is strange. Its a big event, but no bigger than many football matches or pop concerts?

Status
Not open for further replies.