Project CST-100

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Well, for the next few months i'll be undertaking a feat I hope to finish.I will be making Boeing's CST-100 for Orbiter.Right now im still making the mehes,and i'm using google sketchup to do so.This will be a Spacecraft3 vessel as I'm not experienced with DLL's yet.If anyone wants to contribute i.e.Spacecraft3 help,Integrating Ummu,More info on this spacecraft,etc,please PM me.

The picture below shows how far along I am in the project.

Attachments

• Capsule.jpg
    Capsule.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 407

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
The picture below shows how far along I am in the project.
FYI: If you can't see the picture in the post above, it's there: View attachment 7881.

EDIT: The issue of attachment thumbnails not showing up in opening posts of article-like threads should be fixed now.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Ky, if you need any technical helps (pictures, ect) don't hesitate to ask us!

Also, if you can make it fit on the [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5155"]Delta IV (not the heavy variant)[/ame], [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3711"]Atlas V[/ame], [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4727"]And Falcon 9[/ame] addons. Here's a picture on how that's supposed to work.
ooAtlas402.jpg

(On an Atlas V rocket)

ooDeltaIV.jpg

(On a Delta IV rocket)

ooFalcon9.jpg

(On a Falcon 9)

Also, here's a see-through view of how many people and some of the internal components of the CST-100. I hope this helps you, and I wish you the very best of luck on this project!
Boeing.jpg

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
^ I would suggest a universal interface ready for adapter fairings for any vehicle, since an Apollo style mission is not out of the question.

This will aid in the making of adapter fairings and/or cradles to come later, just a thought.

ky

Reaction score
I'm about to send this email to Boeing:

Is it possible that I can get in-depth information on the CST-100 such as empty mass,mas with fuel,main thrust force,attitude thrust force etc..?I am making an add-on for a spaceflight simulator http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/ and need more information than what is available on your site.

Thanks,
Kymani

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
It's better to say 'I'm working on a project regarding your CST-100 proposal for a very popular space flight simulator known as ''Orbiter.'' sounds a bit more professional.

Tacolev

Reaction score
Seconded. A little professionalism goes a long way and even in two sentences it's best to establish the context first before asking for anything.

I might also suggest using something like "design specifications" or "engineering estimates" instead of "in-depth information" since that latter term might put someone on the defensive for just the second it takes to ignore your e-mail.

ky

Reaction score
Ok thanks.BTW status update:The capsule and service module have been made,now,im making the attitude and main thrusters.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

7 astronauts have been added to the inside of the capsule.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Awesome job! Be sure to post pictures of your progress ;)

Tacolev

Reaction score
^ I would suggest a universal interface ready for adapter fairings for any vehicle, since an Apollo style mission is not out of the question.

This will aid in the making of adapter fairings and/or cradles to come later, just a thought.

This is also important because the CST-100 is proposed as a "plug and play" capsule not tied to a particular launch architecture.

An inventory of upper stage diameters depicted and some that might be considered:

Baseline:
Atlas: 10ft (~3.05m, Also any centaur stage)
Delta: 4m
Falcon: 3.66m

Likely:
Ariane: 5.4m

Active and Possible:
Zenit: 3.9m (Probably fudgeable with Delta or Falcon adapter)
Proton: 4.15m ((Probably fudgeable with Delta)
H-IIb: 5.2m
GSLV: 2.8m (probably fudgeable with Atlas)
Long-March 2F: 3.35 (Probably fudgeable with Falcon)

Proposed/Development and Possible:
Angara: 4m (URM First stage 2.9m)
Rus-M: 3.8m
GSLV Mk III: 4m
Long March 5: 5.2m (Probably fudgeable with Ariane)
ATK Liberty: 5.4m (Ariane First Stage)

...and anything developed for Orion/MCPV (Ares, Direct, Sidemount, SLS Capsules should be same diameter).

Last edited:

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
^ Nice job you beat me to it!

Here's a screen cap of my database in MS Access, I need to figure out how to display the decimal points and keep the field from rounding it up for use. The values are stored as decimal, but they display as rounded up, I hate that.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

ky

Reaction score
Here are two photos, one exterior one interior.

Attachments

• Capsule 3.JPG
    Capsule 3.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

ky

Reaction score
The lines wont appear on the spacesuit once it renders.

Tacolev

Reaction score
Minor Quibble:

While the Atlas 401 included with the MRO is the best Atlas add-on available a CST launch would almost certainly use the 402 for engine-out capability on the centaur stage. The twin-engine centaur also generally isn't fitted with hi-orbit nozzle extensions and is better for orbiting a heavy LEO cargo rather than throwing something into GTO or escape.

Certainly won't be that big an issue in simulator-town though. While the Velcro Atlas has all Atlas variants it isn't as pretty. It and the velcro delta might be handier for lower-end systems or for kitbashing absurd seven-CBC moon missions with this thing like velcro is good for.

Anyway, it might make sense once this thing comes together to distribute it with the add-on including only the CST and fairings. Then have separate packages with config files and scenarios tailored to different add-ons so there isn't a duplication of function.

ky

Reaction score
Update:Attitude and main thrusters are installed.That's all the work im doing for today so night everyone.:goodnight:

Tacolev

Reaction score
Looking good so far KY!

After some scrounging I've got a few more details.

The four abort motors are to be derived of the RS-88.

This presentation states all-up mass at 13803 kg.

...and that's all she wrote!

ky

Reaction score
Thanks!.Now to check if I got a response from Boeing.

Johnman

Reaction score
Have you considered going DLL? I have the know-how, and kinda suck at modeling, so I'd be very happy to help with this project.

This could also allow for more intricate UMMU/UCGO integration. :cheers: