General Question Current "must have" addons?

ahunn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Orbiter is sucking me back in after a years hiatus, and I am now setting up for a fresh install on my new Windows 8 box.

My question is this, given my chosen add-ons so far, can anyone see any major issues with the current version and does anyone have any recommendations for additional or alternatives based on the choices I have made so far??

I would appreciate any feedback...

Textures,
I got a kickass rig so I want high-rez baby!!, I have the main textures from the official orbiter download site, including Earth L11,L14 and C Sphere etc, I also have Kens ISS and Solar Panels repaints. I also downloaded the Hi-Res Kennedy Space Center by kukanotas...

Ships
I love XR range and I want to use them mostly because they have great systems simulation and 2D panels (I am a simulation addict)... anything out there that comes even close? I have also downloaded gregburch utility vehicles but haven't used them yet. I will fly vehicles that just have the Hud (with the two MFD's) but would much prefer to be clicking switches in a 2D or 3D cockpit...

Functionality
I grabbed Danstephs new Orbiter Sound 4.0, and I want to use the UMMO and UCGO as well for obviouse immersion reasons, and I am wondering if the Christmas Release is the best (stable?) version to use given my other requirements... also, what MFD are essential and compatible with 2010?, I have also grabbed vinkas spacecraft.dll and patches.

Missions and Tasks
Building Blocks and the XR5 Building Blocks payload configs by Ryan S Kingsbury and the XR2 and XR5 UCGO cargo platforms from Woo482, are they compatible together? I want these for building orbital stations and land bases.

I also have downloaded the Mars Reference mission by Mark Paton as I think that would be a great scenario to develop...

So what am I missing? what treasures are yet undiscovered???

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aerobrake MFD
Base Sync MFD
Pursuit MFD
IMFD
Lunar Transfer MFD
Any other MFD :lol:

And as you've already stated, the XR SERIES BABY!!!

SE

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
- Velcro Rockets
- Velcro Saturns
- ISS v3.2
- ISS from A to Z
(if you complete the ISS using those addons, and that you use D3D9 client with max settings, the station should look pretty awesome)
- Proton LV
- Soyuz FG
- AutoRudder (I love this one, makes those DGs turn much better)

ahunn

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will look into each one of them.... I cant believe how nice the sim looks with the stuff I already have... the hirez earth and iss textures with the XR2 docked over Africa.. frankly .. awesome...

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No one's mentioned OrbiterSound? :)

EDIT: Nevermind, he already has it. Whoops. :)

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Right now, this are the best KSC tiles for the Earth textures you are using (perfectly matched colours): [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5583"]KSC hires tiles[/ame]

Here's some more high-res :), clouds (IIRC, only usable with the D3D9 client): [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5856"]Earth High-Resolution Clouds[/ame]

If you want a bluer Earth atmosphere or redder Mars atmosphere, this are the values I am using:

Earth.cfg
Code:
AtmColor0 = 0.275 0.375 1.04
AtmHazeColor = 0.3 0.4 1.0

Mars.cfg
Code:
AtmColor0 = 0.823 0.658 0.501
AtmHazeColor = 0.823 0.658 0.501

ahunn

Reaction score
I don't know who Thornton is.. but.. I will be checking out everyones recommendations... thanks a lot!!

Kendo

Reaction score
Andy, regarding D3D9 and D3D11 clients, I don,t know which is suitable for you. I use D3D9. I have windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.
Maybe the some members will advise you.