OHM DarkEnergy Spaceplane

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just curious... how do you get to this camera view? I find it difficult to view/read the rcs switches from an angle. This straight-ahead view would be helpful.

You can lean over in the view in VC a bit by using the keybinding CTRL + ALT + ARROW

Its not documented in the manual.... but a poorly kept secret

edition23

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't document that since it's a feature of the Orbiter core, not specific to DarkEnergy, it's just not too many addons use it.
Understandable. I'm having a lot of fun with this addon. Nice work.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Getting very close to a release - in the mean time here is a preview of the flight manual.
This is my way of trying to encourage you all to read the manual... ;)
Preliminary PDF attached.

And another screenshot, because I can. :cool:
liftoff.png

Attachments

• flight_data_file_v0.9.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 25

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
DarkMatter v1.0 is released!
Please post questions/discussion for both DarkEnergy and DarkMatter here in this thread.
DarkMatter download link

==========================================================================

PLEASE READ THE MANUAL!
REALLY, PLEASE! AT LEAST SECTIONS 1-4 & 7?

Ok fine, at least skim through it.

I will NOT tell you how to fly this ship HERE, that is what the MANUAL is for ;)

DarkMatter.PNGDarkMatter (1).PNGDarkMatter (2).PNG
DarkMatter Cockpit.PNG
DarkMatter Rover.PNG

Features:
  • Full VC with 5 MFDs; all the buttons and switches are functional!
  • Realistically modelled systems.
  • Read this flight manual in-sim! Click the book attached to the cabin wall.
  • Working Master Caution & Warning system with status panel.
  • Customizable consumables in the vessel config file
  • RTG accurately simulates the half-life of it’s fuel. Of no practical use, but I wanted it.
  • Full lunar surface experience (With rovers!)
  • Designed for DarkEnergy and Ion-6

Per mission rules, you are REQUIRED to install these addons:
D3D9 Client
OrbiterSound

These addons must be installed to use any of the mission scenarios:
DarkEnergy (And all it’s dependencies)

These addons are highly recommended:
BurnTimeCalcMFD
PursuitMFD

The following documented keyboard commands are available in DarkMatter:
K = Open/Close EVA Hatch
Ctrl K = Open/Close Docking hatch
C = Set flight crew wearing EVA suits
N = Set number of crew on board when docked
E = Begin lunar surface EVA

The following documented keyboard commands are available in the rovers:
Ctrl L = Lights on/off
Numpad 8/2 = Drive/brake
Numpad 4/6/5 = Turn left/right/center steering
Ctrl Numpad 2 = Reverse

The following documented keyboard commands are available in the EVA astronauts:
Numpad 8/2 = Walk forward/backward
Numpad 1/3 = Turn left/right
Numpad 4/6 = Walk sideways left/right
W/S = Raise/lower gold EVA visor
E = Return to DarkMatter cockpit
B = Board/deboard the rover
L = Helmet lights on/off
TAB = Activate action area

The DarkMatter vehicle is equipped with a custom lunar ascent autopilot, created by Orbiter-Forum user @BrianJ.
THE ASCENT AUTOPILOT IS NOT MY WORK, IT WAS MADE BY BY BRIANJ!
Documentation can be found in the following location: “\Doc\DarkMatter\DarkMatterMFD\DarkMatterMFD.pdf”
Once again, amazing work BrianJ!

Credits:
  • Code to calculate touchdown point stiffness & damping shared on OF by fred18
  • Code to draw text on the MFD buttons is from the DM2 Crew Dragon addon by BrianJ
  • I found code to get the current system time on StackOverflow
  • The code to compress the landing gear struts was adapted from some code shared by Dansteph
  • The code to open the flight manual in-sim is from StackOverflow & OF
  • VC Viewpoint shake code is based on NASSP
  • Code to position astronauts on EVA start adapted from GeneralVehicle by Fred18
  • Code for driving the rovers and moving the astronauts adapted from GeneralVehicle by Fred18
  • The EVA suit meshes and textures are by Donamy and gattispilot, used with gattispilot's permission.
  • I found the carbon fiber texture on the internet (carbon_fiber.dds) from here: “https://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/freebies/5-genuine-carbon-fiber-textures-for-photoshop”
  • Ascent_Hull is part of a texture from SSU
  • Ascent_Hull_2 is highly adapted from part of a texture from the Antares 3.0 addon by FOI
  • The texture dust.dds is modified from the texture contrail1.dds that comes with orbiter. (Adjust contrast and brightness)
  • Exhaust.dds is slightly adapted from NASSP
  • RCS.dds is adapted from NASSP
  • RCS_Shield.dds is adapted from the Quasar SHLV addon by FOI
  • The text on the instrument panel is from NASSP
  • The copilot voice sound was generated with a text-to-speech program and edited in Audacity.
  • All other sounds licensed CC0 from Freesound.net and edited in Audacity

Special Thanks:
Huge thanks to @BrianJ for beta tesing this addon and for creating the excellent ascent autopilot bundled with this addon. Thanks for taking the time to help out!
Thanks to @Pioneer for suggesting the name DarkMatter. Fits great with DarkEnergy, thanks!
Also, thanks to the users on Orbiter-Forum who encouraged me to finish this project, especially at the end.
Had it not been for you all, this one may have joined the ranks of my forever unfinished addons.

I have put a lot of time and effort into this project, and wish you many safe spaceflights. I have had a lot of fun making it, and hope you enjoy.
Max-Q

dirtydigs74

Reaction score
Loving the addons, but I'm having a bit of a problem. The RCS when docked to DarkMatter lander seems very underpowered. I'm really struggling to get into the correct attitude for things like LOI. Am I just not starting my attitude adjustment early enough, or am I missing something? Thanks for the awesome job on these addons too!

Sloppyphan

Reaction score
Loving the addons, but I'm having a bit of a problem. The RCS when docked to DarkMatter lander seems very underpowered. I'm really struggling to get into the correct attitude for things like LOI. Am I just not starting my attitude adjustment early enough, or am I missing something? Thanks for the awesome job on these addons too!
Flying any combined ships docked in this manner for maneuvers would seem underpowered. Used to do a mission to Mars with DG and a IRUS docked to the nose and the RCS would have the same issues. It's just the Lander is heavy and sitting out there on your nose making for a crappy "center of mass" as compared to where your rcs thrusters are on Expansion. I usually go to burn attitude manually starting 1800-900 seconds prior to burn. Don't click auto burn until you are already at burn attitude. Also I don't suggest using the Landers RCS for any combined ship attitude changes . . . burns way to much fuel . .

dirtydigs74

Reaction score
Flying any combined ships docked in this manner for maneuvers would seem underpowered. Used to do a mission to Mars with DG and a IRUS docked to the nose and the RCS would have the same issues. It's just the Lander is heavy and sitting out there on your nose making for a crappy "center of mass" as compared to where your rcs thrusters are on Expansion. I usually go to burn attitude manually starting 1800-900 seconds prior to burn. Don't click auto burn until you are already at burn attitude. Also I don't suggest using the Landers RCS for any combined ship attitude changes . . . burns way to much fuel . .
Thanks mate. I thought that might be all it was, but just wanted to check. Cheers!

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Also I don't suggest using the Landers RCS for any combined ship attitude changes . . . burns way to much fuel . .
You won't be able to even fire DarkMatter's RCS anyway until it's powered up, and that requires crew inside DarkMatter, which isn't possible until it's docked to the pressurized port.

So yes, start your maneuvers really early and it'll work fine.

dirtydigs74

Reaction score
You won't be able to even fire DarkMatter's RCS anyway until it's powered up, and that requires crew inside DarkMatter, which isn't possible until it's docked to the pressurized port.

So yes, start your maneuvers really early and it'll work fine.
Thank mate. Yeah, patience was all that was needed. Whilst I have the legend themselves here tho, is there an orbitersound setting to get the ion-6 engine sound whilst inside the Darkenergy spaceplane, or is that on orbiter limitation? No probs with sound if I switch focus. Thanks for these addons mate, they are incredible, a real labour of love.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Whilst I have the legend themselves here tho
Wow, a legend huh? I've never been called a legend before, thanks! :)

is there an orbitersound setting to get the ion-6 engine sound whilst inside the Darkenergy spaceplane, or is that on orbiter limitation? No probs with sound if I switch focus.
Sadly, no, it's an Orbitersound limitation. I tried to get around this, but it didn't end up happening. I haven't given up though...

Thanks for these addons mate, they are incredible, a real labour of love.
Well thank you, I enjoy making them and am glad that folks can have fun with them. :cool:

dirtydigs74

Reaction score
Wow, a legend huh? I've never been called a legend before, thanks! :)

Sadly, no, it's an Orbitersound limitation. I tried to get around this, but it didn't end up happening. I haven't given up though...

Well thank you, I enjoy making them and am glad that folks can have fun with them. :cool:
It's very impressive stuff! Now if I can just get my head around pointing the engine prograde.