DGIV Re-entry Tutorial

squeakywaffle

Reaction score
Hello, Orbiter-Forum... this is my first post here.

A couple of days ago I hauled my old PC out of the closet and got to playing some Orbiter. I don't have a whole lot of experience with the game, but I can manage to go to the moon, mars, ISS, etc... but one thing I never really managed to do was re-entry. Obviously it's not too difficult with the stock DG because it doesn't burn up and you can just dive straight in, but I really like the added realism of the DGIV and it requires you to fly a more or less realistic re-entry. I had a few successes, but they consisted of me timidly skimming the upper atmosphere for something like half an hour until I had bled off enough speed to safely dig in further, and more likely than not I would make a mistake and die due to overheating of the hull.

There were several problems I was having:

1) This is the biggest one... I couldn't keep the nose of the DGIV up. Aerodynamic forces would inevitably lower it, increasing the heat load and killing me instantly. This confused me because the AP has no trouble keeping the nose up.

2) Although I knew the appropriate entry angle was ~1 degree, I had no idea how to hold it, and always ended up either diving in too deep or skipping off.

3) I would routinely land thousands of miles from my target.

I had trouble finding answers to these questions online. Most people just seem to say 'use the autopilot', which does indeed do a good job, but I wanted to fly it myself. I managed to find a very easy (and fairly realistic, I think) way to do it. I wanted to do a thorough write-up so that all this information is available in one place.

The first step is to adjust your orbit so you will pass roughly over the base you want to land at. I do this by burning normal or anti-normal as needed, as I pass over the equator, which is indicated on the orbit display by the little squares connected by the dotted line (I think).

Once the orbit is correct, get ready to re-enter. The biggest thing is to dump fuel until you're below the maximum re-entry weight for the DGIV, which is 19 tons. The DGIV also has a checklist program on the computer which will tell you to lock retro and hover doors, which is a good idea, and kill the gear hydraulics, which is maybe not such a good idea if you're forgetful (ask me how I know). Do what you want, but you have to dump fuel.

Now, fire up AeroBrakeMFD (if you don't have it skip to the next section, and don't hit your target as precisely). Hit 'tgt' and type in the name of your target base. Now you should see the earth and your orbit, and several colored radial lines. The yellow line is the location of your target. The green line is your current location, in orbit. The gray line will be your estimated landing site, though it won't mean anything yet.

Wait until you're about a third of the way around the earth from your target. Now, perform a retrograde burn (carefully, so as not to overdo it). As your orbit shifts to take you into the atmosphere, the gray line will start to actually indicate where you would end up if you stopped your burn right now. Wait until it is right on top of the yellow line, then kill the engine. AeroBrakeMFD seems to be 'smart', and during this setup it assumes that you will be trying to fly a decent re-entry with an appropriate angle of attack, on average. Once you enter the atmosphere, however, it will dynamically update depending on your current AOA. Now check your re-entry angle (there's a program to do this on the computer). It shouldn't be higher than something like 1.5 degrees. If it is, then maybe you're in a very high orbit- if this is the case, you need to do your burn sooner, further away from your target.

Now, the most important part. To get enough control authority to keep the nose from dropping, do the following: In the cockpit panel view, switch the control switch to elevon and gear. This will enable your atmospheric control surfaces. Now, hit F8, and click 'rot' at the top left. Now, you have RCS and elevons. This will give you enough oomph to keep the nose up in the upper atmosphere, just as things start to heat up. This trick is what makes manual re-entry possible. Without it, it is very difficult, and actually impossible to fly correctly.

Now, switch your flight computer display to the re-entry data screen, HUD to surface, turn prograde, pitch up to about 35 degrees, and wait.

:coffee:

At some point, you will enter the upper reaches of the atmosphere (you can tell because your ship will no longer hold attitude without your help). When this happens, grab the stick, make sure you can see the re-entry data display, and get ready. This is the point of no return. You are going to be concentrating entirely on the 'slope' and hull temperatures on the re-entry display, and, of course, your AOA and roll angles.

It turns out that the workings of atmospheric re-entry are a little counterintuitive. At higher angles of attack, your hull will build up less heat, and your slope will actually increase (downwards). This is because at this AOA, the airframe does not produce a significant amount of lift, and is more or less just falling. However, if you pitch down to a more 'normal' AOA, your hull will heat up rapidly (very rapidly... so if you do this, watch out) and your slope will decrease.

You are going to use this knowledge to manage your slope, keeping it in the neighborhood of ~1.2 if you're me, or maybe a little higher if you're in a hurry, or less, if you're so inclined. If your slope is too high, you're going in too deep, and you need to pitch down to increase your lift and therefore decrease your slope (keep a close eye on your temperatures as you do this, as they will rise). If your slope is too low, you need less lift... pitch up, and you'll see your slope increase. This is all you have to do to re-enter safely. You don't have to fly s-curves or any such nonsense. You only need to do that if you are going to overshoot or miss your landing site (the shuttle is designed to enter with an extra speed 'cushion' that can be bled off as needed to make it land right where it's supposed to).

And that's it. Once you hit ~2500 m/s and 30km altitude, you'll find that you're flying more or less like a plane. Use this to your advantage, and fly in the direction of your target base. You should be within a few hundred km of it, and if you did a good job, you might be right on top of it. A few hundred km isn't good enough for the shuttle (that's why they plan to overshoot and then fly s-curves to bleed off that extra speed) but it's good enough for me, and probably you. :)

I hope this helps someone. I know I wish something like this had been around when I was banging my head on the wall wondering why I couldn't keep the DGIV's nose up.

I think this general procedure will probably work for pretty much anything... I just use the DGIV here because I think it's the most realistic and hardest to re-enter with safely.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
DGIV has a reentry autopilot
PRO104SPEC40
It keeps the nose fixed at 40 degrees AoA.
Turn it off at 15 kmaltitude.

You also may need this
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3428"]Tutorial: Concepts for atmospheric reentry[/ame]

Having this tutorial of yours on how to do it manually is great!!
It shows how skilled you have become.

Last edited:

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Not bad, not bad. I like it.
This is what I do, in a nutshell (so i dont steal your thunder):
Use BaseSyncMFD to get my plane close enough to my target. Then use AeroBrakeMFD to preform my re-entrys. The two times i've entered, the re-entry angle has been less then .3, and when using the Re-entry autopilot...takes FOREVER (I calculated it out to be 16.666 minutes...i had fun talking to myself).

I might need to try manual re-entry one time...maybe later. lol

Nice tutorial

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
DGIV can withstand less than 1.2 degrees entry angle or it will burn. It means that deorbit must be at low altitude for a colder entry.
I use to deorbit when close to 150 km in the opposite of the planet.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Funny, on my first (and second, and third..) reentryes (is that right?) I never dumped fuel. The only thing I do is to maintain a -70/-80 vm/s using variable pitch, never using trim (except using a XR5) and using the DGIV onboard computer when doing the reentry burn to set my predicted reentry angle to 0.400 :p
Good tutorial thou' :)
:cheers:

squeakywaffle

Reaction score
Not bad, not bad. I like it.
This is what I do, in a nutshell (so i dont steal your thunder):
Use BaseSyncMFD to get my plane close enough to my target. Then use AeroBrakeMFD to preform my re-entrys. The two times i've entered, the re-entry angle has been less then .3, and when using the Re-entry autopilot...takes FOREVER (I calculated it out to be 16.666 minutes...i had fun talking to myself).

I might need to try manual re-entry one time...maybe later. lol

Nice tutorial

Yeah, manual re-entry is more fun... it is as simple as keeping the slope where you want it, but there are always some 'oh ****' moments where you look down at your hull temps and realize you're moments from a fiery death. I find it a lot more rewarding to do it manually.

The most key thing is the elevons->F8->rot trick, which gives you enough control authority. Without this, it's impossible to control your AOA and therefore impossible to control your descent slope.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I tried my first re-entry practice runs in the DGIV today and noticed something very weird:

When all is about done, AP shuts down at Mach 2.5 and I'm somewhere (if i'm lucky at least NEAR a base :), flying stable in ground direction....

Now, my understanding is to switch off RCS. But, when I do this, the glider does not react to any axis movement. Even with a "normal" speed of 500m/s or so, nada I can't even control the pitch... only if I turn on RCS i can do *very* slow turns.

What am I missing here? (Eh, yes my Main Thrust *is* firing, too...)

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Set to ATM mode. It is atmospheric mode.
When using RCS it will be in ROT or LIN mode.
It has to be passed to ATM.

ATM enables control surfaces like a normal plane.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Ahhh! D'oh! Thanks a lot ... I had the feeling I missed some switch :)

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for posting!
It always really annoyed me how DGIV autopilot manages to have more rcs fuel flow than it's possible in manual mode. Now, finally I can beat cheaty autopilot with this fine trick :)

squeakywaffle

Reaction score
Glad I could help... credit for this trick, though, goes to the dude (I forget his name) who has the grim reaper as his avatar.

Yesterday I noticed an unexpected benefit to being able to manually re-enter... using AeroBrakeMFD, I was able to perform a precise aerocapture through the Martian atmosphere, coming from Earth on a hyperbolic trajectory. When I was atmospheric, I varied my AOA to get quite close to the orbit I wanted. I had to expend only minimal fuel to adjust my orbit when I was coming in (I think my periapsis was about 25 +/- 10km) to take me through the atmosphere.

I guess there's probably a way to do this by autopilot but it was pretty awesome doing it by hand.

Southwell

Reaction score
what about when returning from the moon??? I have always burned my DG-IV when returning from the moon or had to do way too many aerobraking orbits until i do not burn up.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
what about when returning from the moon??? I have always burned my DG-IV when returning from the moon or had to do way too many aerobraking orbits until i do not burn up.

Read this topic about direct reentries; it's more specifically targeting the XR2, but there should be at least some usable information in there for you.

Also, super gravedig! :p

Tommy

Reaction score
It's a bit harder to do the inverted re-entry in a DGIV since it doesn't have COG shifting, but it's possible. If you don't mind a LONG re-entry, you can do it with a low AoA using just elevator trim. When coming in from the Moon or Mars, you will want a PeA of 70k to 75k so that your VS reaches zero before you burn up.

Also, the DGIV is actually very forgiving if you know few basic facts. Coming in from LEO (ISS altitude or less) you will NOT burn up until you are under 65k alt (even if well over the 19 ton "limit"). As long as you have the VS low enough, by 65k, you can re-enter a DGIV even fully loaded and fueled - you just need to have a lower descent rate under 65k to balance out the slower decelleration. This is also true for the XR vessels. I haven't done a lot of testing with the 2010 vesion, but from the bit of testing I have done, there isn't really much difference with the atmosphere model under 100k alt and everything works the same below that.

A DGIV with no cargo and very little fuel can be de-orbited as close as 6M from the target base, at a ReA of 6.75 degrees (PeA about 1000k below the surface if coming from the ISS) if you do it right (initial AoA of 20 degrees until VS reaches -50 m/s, then transition to a higher AoA and maintain about -80 m/s after that)

The main thing is to keep the descent rate at 80m/s or less (you may need to reduce this to 40 m/s if trying re-enter very "heavy") once you are below 65k altitude (assuming you are using a high AoA of 35 to 45 degrees). Keep the VACC low - NEVER more than 5 m/s. You don't have direct control over the VS, only the VACC, so keep in mind that any change to your AoA will take some time to affect your VS. You need to make changes to the AoA before you are in trouble, and keep the changes small (never reduce AoA more than 5 degrees at a time. Keep in mind that the faster you are decellerating the faster you can lose altitude, and visa versa. Also, it's best to de-orbit too early rather than too late - it's easy to extend the glide, and very difficult to shorten it without burning up.

Last edited: