DOS command prompt running Orbiter ng.exe with DX9 client

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Hello there,

When I try to run Orbiter via the ng.exe I get a DOS screen and at the bottom of the list it asks for a command, which I presume will start Orbiter.

What is the command I should type in?

Or am I doing something incorrectly? I have DX9 installed.

Thanks,

jb

jbsheridan

Reaction score
I don"t see that module in the modules section.

Why would that be?

I have the 2010 patched version of Orbiter.

Thanks
jb

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Maybe it would help to download and install the D3D9 client?

I will be running this on Windows XP 32 bit. Will I see a graphics quality difference?

Thanks,

jb

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don"t see that module in the modules section.

Why would that be?

I have the 2010 patched version of Orbiter.

Thanks
jb

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Maybe it would help to download and install the D3D9 client?

I will be running this on Windows XP 32 bit. Will I see a graphics quality difference?

Thanks,

jb

In my past experience, the inline client is the best to use on a Windows XP system. The D3D9 client will work, but it might be laggy. What are your PC specs. Processor, RAM, etc.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yes, but I find that the main advantage in using one of the newer clients is better performance.

They have indeed to be downloaded separately, they're not included in the standard package.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe ...
DX9 is the libraries used by the D3D9 client to run and show your flight scene. D3D9 is the application" which renders the Orbiter flight scene for you.

D3D9 has some graphical improvements: planet glow, reflections, bump mapping ... but its main feature is the insane fluidity that it adds.

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Thank you all.

I am running an Intel 2.93 ghz cpu. 4 gb RAM. GE Force 8800 ultra.

Everything is mostly stabile and runs smoothly. Am I going to open a can of instability worms by installing the client?

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

...And is the client install separate and reversible?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Haven't kept up with the recent development, but the d3d9 client should be very stable.

Anyway, it doesn't replace the stock dx7 client, so there aren't any risks in trying it out :)

EDIT
To clarify: if you install separate graphics client, you have to use the orbiter_ng.exe executable. Starting the "normal" orbiter.exe executable will use the dx7 client which is built in that very executable.

Last edited:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You're computer specs look perfect for this. Being Windows XP tho it might be iffy. If it runs well, you're in the clear but on my XP machine it is laggy. Runs fine on my Windows 7 laptop tho.

Give her a test run and see how it goes. Can you report back with how many FPS you're getting.

Press the 'F' key in game to get the FPS. It'll show up in the info text on the top-right of the screen.

:cheers:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
@ Samuel Edwards.

I'm not sure why do you think XP is cause of d3d9 lagging. I've tested it from PIII 800Mhz, through P4-2400Mhz and Pentium DualCore. In every case framerate went up at least 3 times in comparison to inline.

Remember that XP is very sensitive to size of swapfile and fragmentation of system partition. I recomend static swapfile size (min 1x RAM - max 2xRAM)

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
@ Samuel Edwards.

I'm not sure why do you think XP is cause of d3d9 lagging. I've tested it from PIII 800Mhz, through P4-2400Mhz and Pentium DualCore. In every case framerate went up at least 3 times in comparison to inline.

Remember that XP is very sensitive to size of swapfile and fragmentation of system partition. I recomend static swapfile size (min 1x RAM - max 2xRAM)

Might just be my machine. It's rather old. I don't have the specs with me so I cannot supply any info right now.

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Okay, so I installed the D3D9 client into the Orbiter root directory.

Clicked on the ng.exe and got the D3D9 module checked.

Orbiter would not run a scenario.

I get an error message saying that the application failed to start because the .dll was not found. Try reinstalling. Which I did. Same error message.

Any ideas?

jb

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah, Orbiter running under the D3D9 client it stunning. D3D11 even more so.

And D3D9 is very stable, so stable that it really should be considered the standard now.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, Orbiter running under the D3D9 client it stunning. D3D11 even more so.

And D3D9 is very stable, so stable that it really should be considered the standard now.

I agree 100%. I can't imagine Orbiter without it now. It was just such a great innovation.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
jbsheridan : what dll is missing??

Quote from online documantation available here

Please read it all before using d3d9. It shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes. And that's the same with most add-ons.

DirectX Runtimes

If the redistributable package isn't installed in your computer you will receive an error message "The program can't start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer". Or you may see a pop-up window in Orbiter LaunchPad telling about a missing runtimes. If that happens then download and extract the content of the package in any empty directory you want and then find a Setup.exe and run it. You can delete the contents of the directory after the setup is completed. The directory is just a temporary storage for the installation files.

Here is a link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9033

Last edited:

jbsheridan

Reaction score
Do I have to find a .dll and put it somewhere?

Thanks,

jb

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Thanks for the reminder!

I'm off to try it out.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Okay,.... I have the Direct X .dll installed.

When I click on the ng.exe I get the Orbiter launch page just fine. But when I click on a scenario I get a very tiny window showing the ng.exe loading that lasts for about three seconds and then I get a crash to desk top.

What now?

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Even expanded to full screen, I still get the crash to desk top.

I also created the D3D9 links.