General Question Doubt about the future Orbiter

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
This post is to ask the community or the user with information about what will be the future of Orbiter.
My concern is whether Orbiter simulator will become heavy, because I read a thread that martins said that the future Orbiter need 8GB of RAM, a very fast internet connection, among other things.
And finally my question is:
Will there be a version of Orbiter "light wheight" for modest computers?:rolleyes:

Greetings.

Sorry for my bad English, I use Google Translate.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This post is to ask the community or the user with information about what will be the future of Orbiter.
My concern is whether Orbiter simulator will become heavy, because I read a thread that martins said that the future Orbiter need 8GB of RAM, a very fast internet connection, among other things.
And finally my question is:
Will there be a version of Orbiter "light wheight" for modest computers?:rolleyes:

Greetings.

Sorry for my bad English, I use Google Translate.
That's for the 3D high-res terrain, I think. Probably a separate download.

But there's this thing called [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2686"]Orulex[/ame]... I've never seen the Earth terrain with Orulex (because it turns the water around Cape Canaveral to black), but I don't think it requires as much memory, for some reason.

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Actually, has anyone seen or heard anything about Orbiter development recently? Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I haven't...

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I believe orulex is procedural, so there is a moderate level height map, a simple water mask, and the details are made up

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

And for planets with no map it is just random, but you can designate some seed parameters. For example make a shiny, canyon type planet, or a drab crater planet

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
8 GB of RAM is not the end of the world. If you have less than that you are no longer dealing with 'modest' computers but a tad less. And it would be a shame for the development of Orbiter to be held back because it needs to be tailored so it can run on computer hardware that is several generations behind the current standard.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter really needs 3D terrain & collision detection to stay in touch with its time ; hardware considerations should come in a second time.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
It's not necessary to update if a computer can't run it. If one does not require all bells and whistles, most of the core experience, the part that REALLY matters, is the same as ... 2003? So there's that too

Pablo49

Reaction score
I find these kind of requests to be highly amusing.

Also, Orbiter is 32bit so it cannot use more than 4GB RAM, right?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

That are the specs for running the converter to turn raw Landsat data into new high resolution textures.

Orbiters specs will grow like anything that is getting more features. But not that fast.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The "Fast internet connection" comment was also in relation to downloading the large planetary textures required for the new terrain feature Martin is planning. As posted elsewhere, it'll be a few hundred GB in size for Earth, with more for each planet textured.

As Orbiter itself doesn't feature any networking, it's unlikely you'll need an internet connection after those files are downloaded.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
That are the specs for running the converter to turn raw Landsat data into new high resolution textures.

Orbiters specs will grow like anything that is getting more features. But not that fast.

I had suspected this was the actual source for this, but didn't have time to look into it. Want another requirement having a copy of matlab

tomthenose

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
' it'll be a few hundred GB in size for Earth' that's pretty huge! Getting nice terrain for the whole solar system may fill my aging rig, but i guess that's the price of accurate terrain, I'll just have to get a dedicated orbiter hard drive!

Keatah

Reaction score
Dedicating a HDD (or even a whole computer rig) to 1 sim is not out of the ordinary these days.

MY wife just put together a dedicated system for running Space Engine in our chillout lounge. We used to use Orbiter for visuals, but houseguests like the more simplistic control scheme and the procedure-generated imagery is very compelling. Vibrant. Real time. I hope Orbiter can get back up to speed.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Programs like Orbiter, SpaceEngine or even KSP are slowly evolving into "Universe(al) Simulators" IMHO. High hardware requirements are not a surprise there, it is a research for "The Ultimate Simulation". :yes:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sure, but then what ? Let Orbiter stagnate ? A way to get around hardware limitation problems would be to let available the last stable version with "billard ball planets".

And well, we're not there yet anyway...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Actually, has anyone seen or heard anything about Orbiter development recently? Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I haven't...

You're out of touch.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=32465

8 GB of RAM is not the end of the world. If you have less than that you are no longer dealing with 'modest' computers but a tad less. And it would be a shame for the development of Orbiter to be held back because it needs to be tailored so it can run on computer hardware that is several generations behind the current standard.

Dedicating a HDD (or even a whole computer rig) to 1 sim is not out of the ordinary these days.

MY wife just put together a dedicated system for running Space Engine in our chillout lounge. We used to use Orbiter for visuals, but houseguests like the more simplistic control scheme and the procedure-generated imagery is very compelling. Vibrant. Real time. I hope Orbiter can get back up to speed.

There are still many people in the world for which owning a computer is a matter of dipping into life savings, or an outright impossibility. Can we be a little less callous and treat this as a serious concern for some people on an international forum?

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There are still many people in the world for which owning a computer is a matter of dipping into life savings, or an outright impossibility. Can we be a little less callous and treat this as a serious concern for some people on an international forum?

No. We are talking on the internet, which requires a computer, about a simulator, which requires a computer. If you are unable to buy a computer for whatever reason, why should this concern me on this forum, international or otherwise.

You can't afford to proper computer, yeah that sucks, but it would suck even more if Orbiter's development has to be held up so it can run on your brutal machine. If you cant run orbiter 2014 or whatever it ends up being, then stick with 2010, or 2006.

I dont know what to tell you, but for people building new rigs, it is kinda standard to have well in excess of 8 GB of RAM and more than 500 GB of Hard Drive space. So if you are still using some old Windows XP machine from 2006 then not only is the new Orbiter not for you, but so is pretty much every other game being released today.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A way to get around hardware limitation problems would be to let available the last stable version with "billard ball planets".
If you cant run orbiter 2014 or whatever it ends up being, then stick with 2010, or 2006.
Again, it's not like the "high-res 3D Earth textures which are hundreds of gigabytes in size" will come with the new Orbiter's base package. It will probably be a separate download. If your computer can run Orbiter 2010, you probably won't need to upgrade or buy a new computer for the Orbiter 2014 base package.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score

Of course, sorry. I just get carried away too often. But then again, consider progress. It waits for no one.

Last edited: