News Driverless cars: Who should die in a crash?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I never cease to be surprised at how optimistic people are about speculative tech like full service driverless cars, and really tech in general. Why do people even expect driverless cars to have less accidents?

On moral scoring, accident decision windows are typically in the tenths of second. You all used the internet, have you ever seen a connection getting established, much less returning data, in this kind of a time frame?

Then, how do you expect a car to perform a full moral scoring of a person when all it can see is a vague shape of a bicycle on the radar a second before impact?

In practice, it's unlikely that any moral judgement above "minimize casualties" would be possible to implement in any world worth living in.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"strategic partner retirement communities". Not sure what it means

Communities of people that want to strategically "retire" their partner, obviously. That sounds like a community that could use self-driving cars that could be told which people it's ok to run over.
No idea how they come to be this well-mapped, though...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of the company:

US firm Voyage said it will start rolling out the service at The Villages, Florida which is home to 125,000 senior residents.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42648301

Suppose its a good idea, you have a fairly well defined user base(home, hospital, bingo, crematorium), and its well mapped.

Hmm, might have to add to that list.
The sprawling Villages encompasses three distinct downtown areas, more than 100 dining options, eight major supermarkets and 7.8 million sq ft of commercial real estate.
It has also attracted controversy following reports about a raucous nightlife and public displays of debauchery.

N.

steph

Reaction score
Full of old people Also the kind of people who tend to cross without looking Should be interesting

I remember a friend of mine (of the neighborhood racer type) recommending me that if I ever find myself in a situation where I have right of way and I have to choose between the ditch and another car, I should always choose the latter, else I end up with a banged up car and the other guy will drive away :lol: Not the case with these, I hope :lol:

The way I see it, unless they want to go down the rabbit hole of whom do you choose as a victim (even worse if the car doesn't fully know its occupants or how many there are) the only choice it'll have to do is impact or side of the road, which would have some thresholds based on car characteristics and also the characteristics of the "target" If you have injuries, the guilt will be upon the driver who caused the unplanned departure

Edit: My real curiosity with these is how they react when faced with aggression from a human driver. Say someone repeatedly cuts them off...do they choose the ditch or?

Last edited: