Earth Textures installing confusion and confirmation?

KCB

Reaction score
Website
www.vpacconcept.org
Confused on this one. High res Earth Tex for Beta release (Seth Eden's High- Res Earth Textures, torrent download). I read this thread but it did not really help much:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13747

I’m just alarmed at the fact is I might not be seeing all the files in a zip, that’s news to me???

I see that the level 14 -10 Earth tex come in a zip file with a subfolder (the only one I see) named Textures2. so one assumes these files go into the Textures2 folder in your Orbiter Beta installation? The level 8 tex seem to need installing in the Textures folder, not the Textuers2. yet these seem to be the same type of file ‘.tex’ and '.bin', as the ones that needed to be installed in the Textuers2 folder, even though there are no other .tex files in either of these folders, making me wonder if this is right, so its all a little confusing right now.

What are the differences between texture levels 14 through to 8, these are different view of Earth from different heights correct? 8 been lower orbit?

thanks

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
That thread was about beta textures not working in Orbiter 2006, and about LandSAT textures for Orbiter 2006 that need both level 8 archive and level 10 archive, to look good in Orbiter.

Level 11 + 14 Earth textures archive - the Earth091124_11_14.zip, contains all what you need. Those are only level 11 global, and level 14 Florida, that are located in Textures2 folder. The level 8 corresponding Earth textures are already in your Orbiter's Textures folder. They are from the default Orbiter beta archive, so you don't need to download any other.

The higher texture level means the more detailed terrain, so level 14 Florida is more detailed than level 10 Earth, and level 8 is less detailed. Level 1 is for Earth about of size of legacy (32px) Windows icon. Level 2 is 2 times bigger (4x surface), and so on. Each next level has 2 times higher resolution. Texture levels 6 and 7 are used when Earth fills your full screen (depending on resolution set in Orbiter), and level 8 is the highest for global coverage of the planet (lands and seas/oceans). Higher levels (i.e. 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14) are used only for landmasses, and when you are on lower altitudes (or when you zoom in).

BTW. Please use default text color, neither black, nor gray. It's hard to read your posts on forum skins with dark backgrounds.

Last edited: