OHM Europa level 8

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: mcwgogs

I bring you level 8 textures for Jupiter's moon Europa.
The lower detail areas were altered with semi random detail.

Make sure the Europa.cfg in the config folder reads :
MaxPatchResolution = 8

DOWNLOAD

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've been playing around in the outer solar system lately, so I've been looking to add some bases to the moons and make some visual improvements where possible. This Europa texture does offer a bit of an improvement even in Orbiter 2010 P1.

Compare these two images. Notice how the original sphere makes Europa have an angular horizon whereas the add-on texture gives the horizon a much smoother curve. At this distance, the add-on texture also has more detail.

Original:
pRJf0.jpg

Add-on:
NJtST.jpg

When you're viewing from further out, there isn't much difference. And you could argue that the colors in the original texture file are more appealing. I'm not sure which color is more accurate.

Original (has more of a sandy color):
IvpXO.png

Add-on (appears more white):
QvBQM.png

fullarmor2

Reaction score
I read that Europa has primarily an ice surface so I think the lighter colored level 8 texture is fine with this in mind.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I've been playing around in the outer solar system lately, so I've been looking to add some bases to the moons and make some visual improvements where possible. This Europa texture does offer a bit of an improvement even in Orbiter 2010 P1.

Compare these two images. Notice how the original sphere makes Europa have an angular horizon whereas the add-on texture gives the horizon a much smoother curve. At this distance, the add-on texture also has more detail.

Original:
pRJf0.jpg

Add-on:
NJtST.jpg

When you're viewing from further out, there isn't much difference. And you could argue that the colors in the original texture file are more appealing. I'm not sure which color is more accurate.

Original (has more of a sandy color):
IvpXO.png

Add-on (appears more white):
QvBQM.png

Trying to figure out what a celestial object is "supposed to look like" is a complicated topic. The charge coupled devices on the probes don't work like human eyes. You have to understand how charge coupled devices work, what part of the spectrum they are using, how much exposure time they are using, how the images are being processed, etc. Often photos you see online are "false color," "enhanced color," "approximate true color," etc. It's entirely possible that the photos are bringing out colors and details that you would never perceive with your own eyes in the dim light.

I used to think like you, but then I started to just use the textures that I thought were the most beautiful. This is one of them. By a large margin. Texturing planets seems to be much more of an art than a science.