IMFD Everything was great until I went to Neptune

Eccentric

Reaction score
Recently returned to Orbiter after a very long absence.

I did my research to remind myself how things work, and I've been using IMFD 5.5 with Orbiter 2010. I mostly use the old version because I enjoy the Arrow freighter so much.

Things were going great. I flew the Arrow from Cape Canaveral up to the ISS (yes, I have modified the Arrow's thrust to make such a flight possible).

From the ISS I went Mars -- Olympus -- Jupiter -- Europa -- Jupiter -- now enroute to Neptune.

Up until my shot to Neptune, everything was going great. I got comfortable with the IMFD (I have a quick reference sheet with notes beside me). Frankly, I've been so impressed with the accuracy of the module. Then I went to Neptune.

Right away I remembered why you don't go there... it takes soooooo loooooooong even at max time accel.

But here's the problem... IMFD had a nervous breakdown. Once I was way clear of Jupiter's SOI, I did a correction burn. Jut a few seconds, and the prediction looked spot on as usual.

Then getting close to about half way, I saw the dV was getting up a bit, so I slowed time and fired off the auto burn... only to watch in horror as it started decreasing the eccentricity of my orbit, bringing it way short of Neptune's orbit. I aborted the burn, then looked at BV. The normally sensible dV readings made no sense. Values like "-1 #R" for example.

I tried everything I could think of to fix this, but in the end I used to scenario editor to bring the date forward to my EIn, and placed the Arrow in orbit.

Then I plotted my burn for Triton. Now I get totally confused. The Course Target Intercept showed a meaningful solution, but opening a second shared IMFD with Orbit Eject said it wasn't receiving information from Course. At a loss, I did the burn from the Course program. It looked fine. I appeared to have an accurate intercept solution, and the graph made sense too. About halfway, as usual, I made a course correction... yep, burned in some insane direction that appeared to be trying to circularize my orbit. Again, the BV data was showing bizarre symbols.

Does anyone recognize this? Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

The only things that changed, as far as I can think of, are:
  • that I deployed a few UMMU objects (made a base) while on Europa.
  • The Arrow floated off the ground at one point, perhaps 20 m up, then slowly came back down (who knows why). When I got back on board, the ship was fine but the crew were all dead. (I replaced them).
Help!!!

EDIT/UPDATE
I just reloaded fresh (same bizarre BV data), then used the scenario to advance time to put me about 3/4 of the way to interception. With this much shorter remaining distance, the data when I then checked BV was normal, and a burn produced a small correction.

I seem to remember reading some comment referring to distances... Is this course too long for IMFD to handle without a config file adjustment?

Attachments

• BV Insanity.PNG
    BV Insanity.PNG
    112.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I've been using IMFD 5.5 with Orbiter 2010. I mostly use the old version because I enjoy the Arrow freighter so much.
The Arrow is available for Orbiter 2016.
Link to thread for prerequisites and download : https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threa...2016-merry-christmas.40956/page-2#post-606769
Is this course too long for IMFD to handle without a config file adjustment?
Hard to tell without having the actual scenario. My guess is that IMFD's prediction doesn't extend that far into the future. There is no need to change anything in the config file itself (unless you want a permanent config setup). But you will probably have to change some config settings within the MFD.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Your post got me very excited.

I went the whole hog. I made a new (clean) Orbiter 2016 install, followed all of the instructions precisely...

And it CTD as soon as I load a scenario with the Arrow. Or, if I load a scenario with some other craft, the create an Arrow, it will CTD the instant I try to shift control to the Arrow.

The "GeneralVehicle" and the AR-2 work fine.

The universe hates me. Back to 2010. Thanks for trying.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Can't find anything seriously wrong in the log.

D3D9: ERROR: MeshGroupFlag 0x8 in use (OPERATION NOT IMPLEMENTED)

This might have something to do with the old Arrow.
Are you using the scene file provided or are you using old/saved files, in which case you will have to edit your .scn files as this is a different module.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Can't find anything seriously wrong in the log.

This might have something to do with the old Arrow.
Are you using the scene file provided or are you using old/saved files, in which case you will have to edit your .scn files as this is a different module.
Trying to launch an Arrow-specific scenario provided by the download, yes.

This is using a clean install -- no "old" anything.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Your log says:
Code:
000000.000: Finished initialising world
000000.000: Module UCGOArrow.dll ......... [Build 131128, API 100830]
000000.000: Module Ummu.dll .............. [Build 140111, API 100830]
000000.000: Module UCGODynamicCargo.dll .. [Build 131128, API 100830]
000000.000: Finished initialising status
Working log say:
Code:
000000.000: Finished initialising world
000000.000: Module Arrow.dll ............. [Build 230314, API 160828]
000000.000: Module GV_Azure.dll .......... [Build 230107, API 160828]
Azure: Meshname:UniversalCars\IaCarAzure
Azure: Cockpit Position: -0.926 1.950 6.988
Azure: Acceleration:0.750 Gs Brake:1.000 Gs Maximum Speed:60.000 km/h Max Reverse Speed:30.000 km/h
Azure: Always Upright FALSE
Azure: Steering Speed Factor:1.000 Maximum Steering Angle:35.000
Azure: Full Pedal Time:3.000
Azure: Rear Right Groups: 1
n.0 = 8
Azure: Rear Left Groups: 1
n.0 = 8
Azure: Front Left Groups: 1
n.0 = 0
Azure: Front Right Groups: 1
n.0 = 7
Azure: Rear Axle Position-> x:0.000000 y:-0.162597 z:0.019070
Azure: Front Right Axle Position-> x:2.316111 y:-0.162598 z:5.968749
Azure: Steering Axis Position-> x:2.316111 y:-0.162598 z:5.968749
Azure: Front Wheels Camber = 0.000
Azure: Front Wheels Diameter: 1.6967
Azure: Rear Wheels Diameter: 1.6967
Azure: Height From Ground = 1.001
Azure: Listening From: Arrow
Azure: Towing Attachment Position: 0.000 0.000 0.000
Azure: Tow Max Angle:160.0
000000.000: Finished initialising status
Your calling the wrong modules, Arrow.dll should be called and not UCGOArrow.dll, simplist explanation wrong .scn file (use Arrow_orbital_scenerio.scn).

On the original topic
Hard to tell without having the actual scenario
If you can post a .scn file just before the "misadventure" I can take a look.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Your detailed message (thank you very much) made me go, "What Arrow_orbital_scenerio.scn is he talking about?" which led me to go back to the thread about the new Arrow and...

I had installed everything EXCEPT the new Arrow. The actual part the whole thing was about.

I plowed, de-stoned, fertilized, limed the entire frickin' field, and forgot to plant the seed. "Duh, why isn't anything growing?"

I don't know what to say, except a very humble, "Thank you".

-----

Now that it's working....

How can I help? I assume you want us to fly missions and report any oddities? Where to direct such reports?

To that end, I'd like to add some other shuttle. My bestest favorite is the DG-IV (does that work on 2016?). If not that, then the XR-2 or -5 will do. Is that okay, or does that break the testing environment?

I've also added IMFD5.7 and UAP v 0.3.0. Gotta have something to navigate, and they are my go-to's.

Thank you guys for resurrecting the Arrow.

Last edited:

nbcfrosty

Reaction score
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Your detailed message (thank you very much) made me go, "What Arrow_orbital_scenerio.scn is he talking about?" which led me to go back to the thread about the new Arrow and...

I had installed everything EXCEPT the new Arrow. The actual part the whole thing was about.

I plowed, de-stoned, fertilized, limed the entire frickin' field, and forgot to plant the seed. "Duh, why isn't anything growing?"

I don't know what to say, except a very humble, "Thank you".

-----

Now that it's working....

How can I help? I assume you want us to fly missions and report any oddities? Where to direct such reports?

To that end, I'd like to add some other shuttle. My bestest favorite is the DG-IV (does that work on 2016?). If not that, then the XR-2 or -5 will do. Is that okay, or does that break the testing environment?

I've also added IMFD5.7 and UAP v 0.3.0. Gotta have something to navigate, and they are my go-to's.

Thank you guys for resurrecting the Arrow.

DGIV was unfortunately never updated for 2016. The hover autopilots don't work, there is an occasional CTD, and ground handling is broken. XR2/XR5 works fine though.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Like I said it sounded like you where half way there;)

Welcome to Orbiter2016!
Anomalies, oddities, anecdotes always welcome. Bug reporting on the Orbiter core I'd put on hold, Orbiter2024 is on the horizon:)

Try your journey in O2016, if you have any problems post (best with a .scn file). Good luck:cheers: