News Felix Baumgartner, 23 miles balloon jump.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Aaargh! indeed, never understood this need to jump off tall things. or climbing mountains.

N.

FADEC

Reaction score
Finally!

I am waiting for something like this to happen for many years. During boring space flight and aviation times, beating the record of Joe Kittinger will be at least a little exciting event in the sky :cheers:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Aaargh! indeed, never understood this need to jump off tall things. or climbing mountains.

N.

It makes as much sense as putting a man on the Moon eh?:lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I may see your points, I think it just shows my cowardice! Either way, I wish him well.

N.

Wood

Reaction score
The next step?

Break.jpg

Oh my...

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Redbull's Mission to Near Space

Redbull's Mission to Near Space
Red Bull Stratos, a mission to the edge of space, will attempt to transcend human limits that have existed for 50 years. Supported by a team of experts Felix Baumgartner plans to ascend to 120,000 feet in a stratospheric balloon and make a freefall jump rushing toward earth at supersonic speeds before parachuting to the ground. His attempt to dare atmospheric limits holds the potential to provide valuable medical and scientific research data for future pioneers.

The Red Bull Stratos team brings together the world's leading minds in aerospace medicine, engineering, pressure suit development, capsule creation and balloon fabrication. It includes retired United States Air Force Colonel Joseph Kittinger, who holds three of the records Felix will strive to break.

Joe's record jump from 102,800 ft in 1960 was during a time when no one knew if a human could survive a jump from the edge of space. Joe was a Captain in the U.S. Air Force and had already taken a balloon to 97,000 feet in Project ManHigh and survived a drogue mishap during a jump from 76,400 feet in Excelsior I. The Excelsior III mission was his 33rd parachute
jump.

Although researching extremes was part of the program's goals, setting records wasn't the mission's purpose. Joe ascended in helium balloon launched from the back of a truck. He wore a pressurized suit on the way up in an open, unpressurized gondola. Scientific data captured from Joe's jump was shared with U.S. research personnel for development of the space program. Today Felix and his specialized team hope to take what was learned from Joe's jumps more than 50 years ago and press forward to test the edge of the human envelope.

skydiver-supersonic-space-jump-100712-1-02.jpg

NS1_NearSpaceView.JPG

I personally think that this is very interesting, and hasn't been done in 50 years. Nice to see more mainstream private companies target, or close to, the final frontier of space.

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
parachuting from 120,000 feet? thats an awesome thing to have on your CV/resumé

imagine the view, whilst also being able to feel the wind over your body! must be incredible

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I agree! Also, did anyone else notice the helmet used by Felix Baumgartner looks a lot like the pumpkin suits that where used in the shuttle program?

Turbo

Reaction score
I remember watching a story about Joe a couple of years ago. I didnt even know this was attempted before then (also wasnt born until 87). Ive found out tons of new stuff since being addicted to space. Now someone is going even further. What a rush that must be! Ive parachuted from a plane at 12,000 and wont forget the view falling from above, but 120,000? Wow.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Amazing. Only thing more awesome than this would be parachute jump from orbit.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Without a heat shield you would look like a 5-hour-pizza...
:lol:

A heatshield obviously would be required. Maybe some sort of ablative spacesuit coating could be used that works as ablative heatshield?

Tacolev

Reaction score
Maybe that won't do, [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=435"]but this will.[/ame]

So will [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3732"]this.[/ame]