Flight Question Flight planning

laukejas

Reaction score
Okay, I'll go over that tutorial, thanks.

I'm bit of frustrated right now, as I can't seem to find out how to set up things in this scenario (attaching). I set up slingshot past Jupiter to intercept Titan at it's good position, but my initial burn from Earth won't put me on needed R. Inc and Pe Ratio. If I try to adjust my initial burn settings, the arrival at Titan gets messed up.

I can't figure it out, I've been sitting at this for more than an hour. How do I correct my initial burn so that I don't mess up arrival at Titan (I'm trying to solve 3 variables now: Pe Ratio, R. Inc, and Titan intercept date with initial burn settings (4 variables: Prograde velocity, Eject date, Outward velocity, and Ch. plane velocity), as well as Outward and Inc. angle at Jupiter slingshot stage. So that's 7 variables total to get 4 other variables right. How do I do that....?)
I'm not asking to do it for me, just any kind of advise how to "lock" some of these variables would be very helpful. Because now every number is moving in unpredictable direction.

Attachments

• test3.scn
    4.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
More than an hour eh? That might seem long, until you realize what you are trying to do. You want to find a trajectory that leaves Earth, slings Jupiter makes an aerosling on Titan and arrives at Mimas, for crying out loud!

One hour is nothing, some plans may take several hours (or even days/months) until you come up with a working solution, especially if you are new at this level of trajectory planning. I remember it took me many days of trying - giving up - trying again for just a "simple" Moon→Mars journey in one of flytandem's challenges. And the same challenge took me a year and a half to come up with a different solution. (I wasn't trying it all the time of course, but I revisited it every now and then).

There is no "magic pill" to take and get instant knowledge of these stuff. You have to put in the hours and make the mistakes and learn from them.Only then your next TransX plan will be a little bit better than the previous one and so on.

And no, you cannot "lock" one parameter and fiddle with just the rest of them. Every change you make affects the whole journey. The "unpredictable direction" will become slightly more predictable with practise.

laukejas

Reaction score
Yeah, well, I have no problem with practicing and finding things the hard way, it's just that I lack direction to learn.

I figured out that when changing initial burn parameters, if I encounter Jupiter during slingshot at the exact same MJD and velocity, then arrival to Titan won't mess up. So I can change initial burn vectors to match required slingshot Pe. Ratio and R. Inc. as long as I keep Jupiter periapsis MJD and velocity stable. That way, I don't have to adjust Outward and Inc. angles. Am I right in this thinking?

(Just figuring out how to learn, you know)

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, well, I have no problem with practicing and finding things the hard way, it's just that I lack direction to learn.

There is nothing wrong with that, but you keep making questions for all the aspects of the journey you chose for yourself, without showing that you have actually tried to do some stuff and failed. (And no, "I fiddled with it for an hour and couldn't do it", doesn't count as an actual attempt).

I figured out that when changing initial burn parameters, if I encounter Jupiter during slingshot at the exact same MJD and velocity, then arrival to Titan won't mess up. So I can change initial burn vectors to match required slingshot Pe. Ratio and R. Inc. as long as I keep Jupiter periapsis MJD and velocity stable. That way, I don't have to adjust Outward and Inc. angles. Am I right in this thinking?

Your thinking is "right" (same arrival parameters produce the same sling) but I cannot say for sure without knowing exactly what you did and it would be wrong of me to say: "Yes. that's what you always need to do", because that's not the case.

What if you need to change the Out. and Inc. values to get an even better arrival at Titan, or what if you try a diiferent plan than the one with the dates I suggested? (Which btw, are just a solution not the solution). Won't you need to re-adjust your initial eject values?

Do some trial and error, without asking for verification of every step. You've already figured out a whole bunch of stuff just by yourself.

Last edited: