Flight Question Geo Stationary Orbit

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
Ive been cking out other threads but cant figure out how to Align my orbit with the earths equator. Currently I am in a 3.57M orbit. Which MFD would be the most useful?

Jarvitä

Reaction score
It's simple really, if you're at the ascending node, you just have to align yourself orbit-antinormal and initiate the burn. On the descending node, burn orbit-normal. Just set your orbit MFD to equatorial frame and watch the inclination indicator.

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
It's simple really, if you're at the ascending node, you just have to align yourself orbit-antinormal and initiate the burn. On the descending node, burn orbit-normal. Just set your orbit MFD to equatorial frame and watch the inclination indicator.

Thanks that does sound pretty simple. I will give it a try.

---------- Post added 06-28-10 at 02:56 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-27-10 at 06:01 AM ----------

I cant get Atlantis to match earths rotational speed. I am in a 3.5786 M orbit with ecc of 0.000. Also Inc is 0.00. When I accelerate time earth rotates faster than me.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Equatorial inclination? Your ecliptic inclination should be ~23.45 degrees. Equatorial inclination should be 0.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What do you see on Map MFD (assuming you're in Orbiter 2010)?
You shouldn't be able to see any orbit predictions before or ahead of you, because you in theory should be stationary over one point on the map. For that matter, what point are you over? (Country, city, etc.)

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
What do you see on Map MFD (assuming you're in Orbiter 2010)?
You shouldn't be able to see any orbit predictions before or ahead of you, because you in theory should be stationary over one point on the map. For that matter, what point are you over? (Country, city, etc.)

My orbit is a horizonal line. Im approaching South America.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Based on the information you've given (3.57M orbit, 0 inclination, 0 eccentricity) all point to a geostationary orbit.

Maybe OrbitMFD just isn't accurate enough (4 significant digits) to get you into that orbit.

Exactly how much faster is the Earth spinning?

Or are you perhaps in a retrograde orbit? (Idiotic as that sounds, it's the only other solution I can think of.)

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
Based on the information you've given (3.57M orbit, 0 inclination, 0 eccentricity) all point to a geostationary orbit.

Maybe OrbitMFD just isn't accurate enough (4 significant digits) to get you into that orbit.

Exactly how much faster is the Earth spinning?

Or are you perhaps in a retrograde orbit? (Idiotic as that sounds, it's the only other solution I can think of.)

Earth is not alot faster. I have too acc x100 to see it. Explain retrograde orbit please. You may be on to something.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you were in a retrograde orbit, you would be orbiting in a direction opposite to the Earth's rotation (West to East instead of East to West.) In that case, you could have 0 inclination and the correct altitude, but in the wrong direction, meaning that the Earth would appear to spin twice as fast as it should if you were stationary, instead of not spinning at all as in a true geostationary orbit.

If you only have to accelerate to 100x to see the effects, then this may be the case.

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
If you were in a retrograde orbit, you would be orbiting in a direction opposite to the Earth's rotation (West to East instead of East to West.) In that case, you could have 0 inclination and the correct altitude, but in the wrong direction, meaning that the Earth would appear to spin twice as fast as it should if you were stationary, instead of not spinning at all as in a true geostationary orbit.

If you only have to accelerate to 100x to see the effects, then this may be the case.

I think that may be my problem. Is there a way to correct without a total re-launch?

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
Heres a good way to figure it out. On the OrbitMFD is the green line moving clockwise, counter-clockwise, or not at all.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Huh, I think you only forgot a decimal :)

Your Altitude should be 35.7M kilometers above the ground, not 3.57M :)

T should be 84.16M seconds.

The orbit hasn't to be perfectly circular, as long you stay close enough from these values (especially for T). In real life they correct the satellite's orbit by firing it's thrusters a few times a year or so.

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
Huh, I think you only forgot a decimal :)

Your Altitude should be 35.7M kilometers above the ground, not 3.57M :)

T should be 84.16M seconds.

The orbit hasn't to be perfectly circular, as long you stay close enough from these values (especially for T). In real life they correct the satellite's orbit by firing it's thrusters a few times a year or so.

That was it!! Darn decimals. I should have looked at the orbital time. That would have been a big clue. Thanks N_Molson :tiphat: and everybody else. Im good now.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

No no no!

You need to go way higher to reach geostationary orbit! You'll never get there with the Space Shuttle, at least not without refueling it. Your orbit needs to be like 37 M (IIRC) above the surface.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You'll never get there with the Space Shuttle, at least not without refueling it.

Correction: at least not without refueling it, several times...

At least in Orbiter you can use the Scn Editor. The real shuttle can't refuel mid-flight.