Updates GOCE Mission News

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but why do I get this gut feeling it headed for the USA?

Pretty small likelihood IMHO. Whilst the next couple of orbits do indeed go across the USA (south to north), there's a much greater amount of orbit not over the USA.

Plus the USA is a pretty big place, and this thing is only the size of a car. I guess there'll be more people getting injured in car accidents tonight than GOCE incidents.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Lowest orbit so far...103 km and going up again, above Indonesia...speed 7.97 m/s
Don't trust any trackers anymore. They all rely on TLEs so they're not up to date and can't account for drag increasing in real time. They're updated as new TLEs become available, so they can show something in orbit long after it is gone.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't trust any trackers anymore. They all rely on TLEs so they're not up to date and can't account for drag increasing in real time. They're updated as new TLEs become available, so they can show something in orbit long after it is gone.

Dammit ... I demand direct access to real-time radar and laser tracking systems :).

Screamer7

Reaction score
Dammit ... I demand direct access to real-time radar and laser tracking systems .

LOL...

MattBaker

Reaction score
Dammit ... I demand direct access to real-time radar and laser tracking systems :).

If 50%+1 of the next presidential election approve that...

"Screw that meeting with the British Prime Minister! I'm watching GOCE reenter."

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I wonder how much effect Typhoon Haiyan will have on the reentry during the final orbit. Haiyan is in the S. China Sea off Vietnam.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Dammit ... I demand direct access to real-time radar and laser tracking systems .

Plant one in your garden :)

Seriously, no way to point several amateur-sized antennas around the world at the thing and pinpoint it's position knowing the GPS coordiantes of each antenna and the direction of the signal, and networking the whole in real-time (yeah I know, this is easy to say... :p) ?

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe someone in the NSA can give me a password to get into STRATCOM? :p

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Should know in a few minutes if it is down. Next (potential) pass at Troll coming up in a few minutes. If no pass, it's down.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Should know in a few minutes if it is down. Next (potential) pass at Troll coming up in a few minutes. If no pass, it's down.

It has basically already been guaranteed down. It's just unknown where.

"[00:50 UTC]: The re-entry window is now closed. With very high certainty, GOCE has re-entered by now. Pin-pointing the decay location and exact time is a process that requires some time."

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Impact estimated off the southern tip of South America, not too far from Antarctica.
Edit: I should probably say entry interface rather than impact.

Last edited:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
dammit almost picked the right spot. Farewell GOCE.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very good. Visual confirmation of reentry from the Falklands!

BYzQvtSCYAIrwg4.jpg

https://twitter.com/Cheds23/status/399923984940032001/photo/1