Software Google Earth 5.2 troubles

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, So this isn't strictly Orbiter related, but there is that Orbiter-Google flight telemetry recorder soooo...

I've been trying to fix this for a while but can't find ANY info about it. I'm mainly just curious to know if anybody on here has experienced anything even similar to this:

for the record, my old google earth worked great!

I downloaded Google Earth 5.2 and it seems to run great. In I don't think it CTD'd once since i got it which is better than 5.1.

HOWEVER it does something WAY worse IMO. The program acts like the ENTIRE button interface does not exist. So

things I CAN do:

Navigate the earth
zoom in and out
pan around
any type of mouse navigation interaction
close the application with the right corner "x" box (thankfully)

Things I CAN'T do:

click on layer buttons
click on zoom buttons
click ANY menu buttons
and oddly, I can open the application drop down menus but i can't select any items from them. example: open file menu but am unable to select "exit"

So if i drag the layer scroll bar, it merely pans the map, as though the scroll bars weren't there. or i double click a button, it zooms into the area "hidden" behind menus as if they weren't there.

I found I could still navigate with the keyboard limitedly and there was some suggestion I found to switch between openGL and Direct X which I could barely manage to switch the setting but it didn't do any thing different.

Anybody else get this kind of problem?? Google corp is no help. can't find anybody else with this problem... :idk:

also google doesn't offer the old version for download :rolleyes:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I use google-earth 5.2 and haven't noticed any problems like those you mention.

On the download page you can also download 5.1.
Open the sub-menu called "Customize your installation of Google Earth with advanced setup" and choose your version there.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the tip i didn't notice that was available. Even now I am still stumped. It must be something to do with some specific conflict on my computer. Also annoying is the fact that it doesn't make anything "go wrong" so there isn't any type of bug report to gather or data to collect; it works perfectly except it doesn't work at all.

I see many people viewed this so thanks to everybody for taking a gander! I'm just going to downgrade and wait for Google Earth v. x.xx and hope it works next time... :coffee: