Graphics cards and FPS for SSU 1.25

Apollo 11

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a newer gaming computer, and I know that SSU 1.25 (aswell as future additions) are pretty hardware intensive. So what do yall run (with FPS, of course) and do the developers have any suggestions on what I should be looking for? I'm trying not to bust the bank on this one.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Anything with PCI-Ex is already a good buy, the biggest problem is the current DirectX 7 interface of Orbiter, which limits the triangles per second rate. I have not yet tested SSU on the Orbiter betas, maybe things run better there.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
have not yet tested SSU on the Orbiter betas, maybe things run better there.
Not going to be much better as the official graphics client for the next version is still the same DX7 engine that is in tne current version. So unless someone writes a DX9/10 client, the FPS is goint to be about the same.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not going to be much better as the official graphics client for the next version is still the same DX7 engine that is in tne current version. So unless someone writes a DX9/10 client, the FPS is goint to be about the same.

Don't we have both a DX9 and a OpenGL client for the beta?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Don't we have both a DX9 and a OpenGL client for the beta?
No. Just the standard DX7 client which is really just a reference implementation and Artlav's OGLAClient.

Revolpathon

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a newer gaming computer, and I know that SSU 1.25 (aswell as future additions) are pretty hardware intensive. So what do yall run (with FPS, of course) and do the developers have any suggestions on what I should be looking for? I'm trying not to bust the bank on this one.

i bought a new gaming rig for 600 bucks, (including a new monitor) so you could go cheaper, basicly i kept the case, keyboard, mouse, and all that jazz and bought a new motherboard some new ram and an intel core i7 920 (already had a good videocard) gtx 260, and assembled it all myself (waay cheaper than a store bought pc ready to go, plus in 99 percent of the cases it's a better rig for less buck.

the rig i have can play ANY game on the market full throttle, though my graphics card is considered dated already so i might hit the cealing soon but it will last at least 2 years.... i'm rambling

what you should do is keep as much of your old system as possible, try to get a core i7 doesn't matter which though i recomend the cheapest one (the 920) get a motherboard to match with the core i7 that fits your taste and need, get a new power supply unit (things are cheap so no more than 20 bucks or so) some new ram since most i7 motherboards need the new ddr3 memory (4 gig's is plenty if your planning on running windows 7 or vista) 2 gig's is enough for windows xp. and a graphics card if you need it, (look at the ati radeon 48xx series and higher or an nvidia 200 series) if you tally it all up you should end up at around 450 to 500 bucks, and you end up with a system that can play most games to full satisfaction (if not all current games) and you won't need to upgrade it in the near foreseeable future (ie 2 - 5 years) depending how much of a power user you are.

Apollo 11

Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking at an i7 aswell. Either an HD5770, HD4750, or a GT250. Which system is better? Also, does SSU 1.25 have the new drag chute and SSME exhaust by Donamy and the vaporization "smoke" from the SSMEs and the smoke from the SRBs at the pad? Or do I need to sourceforge update to get those effects?

Last edited:

Revolpathon

Reaction score
those 3 cards are all pretty good, you should find a review where they put them head to head (bound to be a few of them) though i'm an nvidia fan here :) i'm alway's looking for bang for buck, though i kinda threw it out the window with my vid card (bought it back when only the gtx 280 and 260 where barely released))