GRIP - Astro stacking software

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
http://www.grelf.net/

Aside from DeepSkyStacker, Grip is really useful. It can do many things that DSS cannot (they're not really comparable, except both can stack images)

Actually I find Grip more often makes errors when stacking in warp mode, but is better than DSS in the 2 other stacking-modes.

Anyway, both programs should be in your tool-box since both are amazing programs.
One single really useful thing in Grip is that you can export your images in 8 bit. For some reason DSS doesn't seem to have this option. But Grip can also do a lot of useful edits to your images, like removing light-pollution quite effectively from images, and neutralizing white-balances, and much more.

Grip was last updated in june and now does what DSS also does: extends the bit-depth as your number of stacked images increase.

I made a test to show this.

I took some pictures of the star Vega, and the 2 double-stars just left of it, and converted them into 1 bit images (pure black and white) and then stacked them.

On the image the first row (the green box) shows 3 different frame examples of Vega. Here you can see that even though the image is 1 bit only, each frame is still different. I stacked 100 of such 1 bit frames.

The second row (the red box) shows the final stacked image. As you can see the number of bits have been extended.

So not only is signal-to-noise-ratio (SNR) increased when stacking, even bit-depth is increased :)

The 2 next rows show the same example, only this time it's with the 2 double-stars found north-west of Vega (from Vega go towards Polaris)

This makes stacking highly recommended.
You probably already knew that ;) but sometimes a re-iteration is a good thing, which is basically the purpose of this posting.

Remember to adjust the histogram after stacking and BEFORE converting your image into the 8 bit image.
In fact this is similar to doing HDR images (high dynamic range)

Grip has more indepth info on this (recommended read) here:
http://www.grelf.net/astro_exposure.html#accum
In fact the website has a ton of useful info if you're interested in astro-photography. And lots of the author's own astro-photos (and he's good :) )

Attachments

• GripStackExampleJEL.png
    GripStackExampleJEL.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: