LaunchMFD Guide to ISS

MeeexC

Reaction score
Hello all!

I had some time to dive into Orbiter in the last days. Something I had never done with success before was LaunchMFD. I have to say that I haven't played Orbiter since its hype in 2010-2012(?). I have forgotten almost everything and am just starting to learn it again.

My problem is that I can't get to the ISS with LaunchMFD. I know the three YT videos, have read the Manuel and know the playback. Please help me!

I originally wanted to go to ISS with the XR2, but thought with the DG is simpler.

- ISS selected as target

- Waited until about 1200s to intercept.

- Launched, trim all the way up and AP of LaunchMFD on.

It looked good at first. However, I would have burned up with the XR2 immediately in the atmosphere. Then I turned off the AP, climbed further and turned on the DA mode. However, after the message: cut your engines, I was on a completely wrong orbit. I can remember that all my attempts to start with this MFD failed similarly. Therefore: can someone suggest me a step-by-step guide. For dummies...

Many greetings

Max

turtle91

Reaction score
If you just want to launch to ISS using standard procedures...then please don't use DA (direct ascent).
It works, but it's tricky and needs some planning and manually piloting.
The idea is, right after MECO you are in front or behind the ISS.
Like pizza-delivery to ISS. So you will be there before the pizza is getting cold.

Standard Launch-MFD procedure which works for me even in Orbiter 2010.
-In launch MFD: target ISS
-wait until the numbers (i.e. "heading") come alive (about 600-400 seconds before plane-intercept).
-launch, better to bank to the correct heading manually (in the 040's northbound or the 130's southbound).
-hit AP
-enjoy the ride until MECO

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
As well as banking to rough heading, I usually nose up to rough pitch, as well.