garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
This get's more interesting. the pilot was a former air ambulance pilot with 12,000 hours. That means he would have had a lot more experience flying near buildings than most.

_65332616_65332615.jpg

Tributes have been paid to a pilot who died when a helicopter crashed into a crane in London.

An investigation is now under way into how Capt Pete Barnes, 50, hit the crane on The Tower, One St George Wharf, in South Lambeth on Wednesday morning.

A second person who died on the ground is believed to be Matthew Wood, 39, of Sutton, south London.

Mr Barnes had flown for Redhill firm Rotormotion for 15 years and colleagues described him as "highly skilled".

Cars and two buildings caught fire after the burning wreckage fell into Wandsworth Road.

Five people were taken to hospital, one suffered a broken leg while the others had minor injuries.

Capt Philip Amadeus, managing director of Rotormotion, said: "We are devastated by the loss of a highly valued colleague and very dear friend.

"Our thoughts and condolences are with Peter's wife and children."

The experienced pilot, from near Reading in Berkshire, who had amassed 12,000 flying hours, had asked to be diverted to a nearby heliport because of bad weather.

BBC weather centre said observations at the time showed very low but not thick fog.

Kevin Hodgson, director of operations at the Great North Air Ambulance Service, worked alongside Mr Barnes for several years, flying on life-saving missions across the North.

"Pete was as good a guy as you can imagine and one of the best pilots I've ever had the pleasure of flying with," he said.

Mr Barnes also flew for the Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland Air Ambulance Service.

Derby Hospitals NHS Trust tweeted: "Very sad to hear tragic news of death of air ambulance pilot Pete Barnes, he made many visits to our helipad at Royal Derby Hospital."

Metropolitan Police Commander Neil Basu told BBC News it was "miraculous" the crash was not much worse.

Five people were taken to hospital. Seven people were treated at the scene.
Falling debris

It is thought some of the injured were hit by falling debris.

Tony Pidgley, chairman of site developer Berkeley, said the crane driver was not in the crane because of the "fog level".

"The operative is just not allowed up that crane in conditions like that because you just can't see," he said.

Part of the crane was left hanging from the side of the residential building, which is still under construction.

London Fire Brigade said part of the tail section of the helicopter landed on the roof of the building and the main section landed in Wandsworth Road, hitting two cars. The fire from the helicopter ignited two buildings.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21049125

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Re 30# above

Sorry, I was being cynical as to who may be covering various competencies as the consequences of this come out of the woodwork.

Shouldn't use slang in an international forum.

N.

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Driving a bus though, is pretty much the same level of work no matter what, even rain and busy traffic won't make too much difference. Workload for handling pilot and non-handling pilot or navigator when low level, in IMC or both is high. Like I said before things aren't much better even with a 3rd crewmember with radar and nav kit backing you up. Add in busy airspace with equally busy comms with possibly being low on fuel and the potential for anybody to get maxed out is there.

Having a second crewmember would certainly make things easier for pilot, but given that there are likely tens of thousands of helicopter flights over London each year without an incident I think the risk is very low that a random helicopter will fall on someones head. Is it enough to require by law to have two pilots in every helicopter or light aircraft that fly over city?
When driving in unfamiliar place in busy traffic it is also much easier and safer to drive when another person is managing map or gps and telling the driver where to go than having the driver to fiddle with gps while driving on busy road. A distracted driver is much more likely to cause a crash however there is no requirement by law to have a "copilot" in car when driving in above average difficulty conditions.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This get's more interesting. the pilot was a former air ambulance pilot with 12,000 hours. That means he would have had a lot more experience flying near buildings than most.

_65332616_65332615.jpg

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21049125

More important, he was also involved in the filming of many movies. But experience cannot prevent disorientation in fog or low clouds. There you need ground assistance. If London had one of its typical thermal inversions during winter, it is even possible that he could have had pitot tube problems.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Having a second crewmember would certainly make things easier for pilot, but given that there are likely tens of thousands of helicopter flights over London each year without an incident I think the risk is very low that a random helicopter will fall on someones head. Is it enough to require by law to have two pilots in every helicopter or light aircraft that fly over city?

CAA figures say 16,000+ helicopter flights over London in 2012. Remember that 2012 is a year in which airspace restrictions were in effect for the Olympics so that's a lower figure than normal.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
More info around the incident:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/21045670

Also shows the Specified Area and the H Routes into it on the map of London.

One I have (30 years old!) shows the entry points to the West. There is only that one entry point, I guess to avoid through traffic becoming a problem?

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also shows the Specified Area and the H Routes into it on the map of London.

One I have (30 years old!) shows the entry points to the West. There is only that one entry point, I guess to avoid through traffic becoming a problem?

I also posted the original publication with the rules for the area some posts earlier, but it went down the backlog quickly.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/7/EIS%2006.pdf

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/7/20100316LondonHeliChart.pdf

Technically speaking, the only real violation of him was flying to low near obstacles, even regarding older obstacles, and not just the new building.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The radar tracks shortly before the collision look like the helicopter lost sight of the river and was searching it.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
from the report said:
At 0731 hrs, having noticed how poor the weather was
during his journey, the client called the pilot to suggest
that he did not take off until he (the client) had reached
Elstree and observed the weather. The pilot replied that he
was already starting the engines. The client stated that he
repeated his suggestion that the pilot should not take off.

Normally the pressure would come from the client, in this case he had a client telling him to not take off. I wonder why he had a case of 'get-on-itis'