Hello from Dallas

wingwalker716

Reaction score
Greetings fellow space nerds!
I have only recently found orbiter and this is my first time on the forum. Looking forward to getting to know some of you, and getting somewhere close to competent with orbiter.
Any suggestions on good places to start learning? I'm basically to the point where I can (usually) get to ISS or the moon without seriously screwing something up.
I have started downloading some addons, DGIV, XR2, transX, etc. But i recently downloaded an addon that was an .rar file (ShuttleTD.rar), and I havent the foggiest clue what to do with it. Any sage advice from the local Yodas?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Welcome to OF and Happy New Year!

RAR files are just compressed archives, exactly as Zip files.
If you install 7-zip you can manage pretty much every kind of compressed archive.
I think you should unpack (decompress) the RAR file exactly as you already did for, say, the XR2.
Where did you download that file from, btw?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:welcome: to Orbiter-Forum!

:cheers:

MikeB

Reaction score
The classic introduction to Orbiter is Bruce Irving's Go Play In Space. It's a light-hearted series of exercises and explanations that introduces skills in a pretty logical order. The latest version is on the Orbiter Wiki: http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Go_Play_In_Space

The most recent updates were for Orbiter 2010, and aren't quite finished, so you'll find a few out of date links, etc. Feel free to contribute to the wiki.

And welcome to the Orbiter community!

wingwalker716

Reaction score
Files were downloaded from Orbit Hangar. Thanks for the advice, I've used 7-zip before.

---------- Post added at 04:55 UTC ----- Previous post was at 04:52 UTC ----------

I have seen some of David Courtney's videos, they were very helpful in getting me off the ground. Thanks.

asullivan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello!

From a space cowboy that used to live in the Lone Star State!

:salute:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Welcome wingwalker! Another Texan here as well.