Hispa to Mars

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fabri: I was already working on that. I moved the "base" to other-more-convenient place:

phobos_3.jpg

For those who want to enjoy the Prelude II base with hi-res textures of phobos, here are the new coordinates I used:

Code:
BASE01:DGIVPreludeII
  STATUS Landed Phobos
  POS -110.4838615 25.1997338
  HEADING 40.91
  AFCMODE 7
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  XPDR 320
  SKINNAME phobos
  DISPLAYLANDINGPAD 1         ;0=ground base 1=mountain base (eg: 

phobos) 2= disable
  MAINAIRLOCK 0 0.0000
  PADLIGHT1MODE 0
  PADLIGHT1STATE 2
  UMMUCREW Sci-Peter_Salchli-33-64-82
  UMMUCREW -Itai_Weinberg-27-65-61
  UMMUCREW XI5-Cameron_Mitchell-36-65-77
END
(Of course, you must install DGIV first to have this station)

I still think that Cameron Mitchell has nothing to do here if the base doesn't have a Stargate to come back home. :lol:

mc_: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/download.html Nothing easier! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
How strange. I brought mr. Mitchell there using an XR5 (see blog for that) and now the guy's getting (maybe) home on your pc. :)

Topic: thanks for the new coordinates!

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Two last screenies before going to asleep:

Phobos04.jpg

XR2 Ravenstar "RedHat" leaving Phobos. Great mesh this one, with the Stickney...

marte05.jpg

My new Olympus mars station (the original was a little... annoying to my eyes). I did it with some other addons like, of course, Moonbase Alpha, stole textures from the Olympus mons itself...

Warning: it's now a really really difficult place to land the XR5. The landing pads are too small for the beast. I'll try to land a Deltaglider IV there tomorrow.

See ya boys! :)

---------- Post added 05-21-10 at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-20-10 at 11:49 PM ----------

Hi again. As I promised yesterday, I'm now trying to land a DG-IV on my new Olympus (Alpha-stolen-type) base. First screenshoot of the day: Valle Marineris from DG-IV cockpit.

valles_marineris_dgiv.jpg

Further news when landed. Hispa out.

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm just using Orbiter Beta 100509. This Map MFD comes with the version as default. :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice shots!
What kind of Map MFD are you using on the last screen?
That's the new beta MapMFD. It shoes the current orbit, and the next two.

Hispa:
Wow, excellent screenshots! Seeing Valles Marineris out of the cockpit like that makes me imagine Also Sprach Zarathustra playing in the background.
:probe:

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aproaching Olympus mons:

dgiv_olympus_mons.jpg

Not very familiarized with DG-IV. It's weird I find XR2 more friendly...

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Landed without problems on pad 1. A children's game... Just a strange thing: the meshes of the pad are some centimeters higher than terrain level, so the result is:

mars_feet_sunked.jpg

No idea of how to solve this problem. Anyway, I'm the first man that sunk his feet below Mars. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Finally I decided to launch Cosmos back to Earth in a high energy transfer orbit. It's going to pass near Mercury orbit and rendezvous Earth when raising from the other side of Sun. I don't know how to do this with Interplanetary MFD, so I'm doing it with Trans MFD and Sync orbit MFD, neutralizing the difference between orbital angles when I arrive to Earth orbit intersect node. As I said above, Cosmos has an enormous quantity of fuel to do the job.

cosmos_back_home.jpg

Cosmos ejecting from Mars orbit.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

dg-iv_marsbase_01.jpg

Coming back home from Mars surface.

dg-iv_marsbase_02.jpg

Lots of docking ports on Celestium 3C. Now a frozen beer to celebrate the succesfull mission. Meanwhile, Cosmos continues its way to Earth.

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Great pictures that you post!
Sadly I'm having some problems with the station and/or cosmos: in any scenario where the two are docked, it ctd's on loading, and if I remove the docking parameters line from the scenario the cosmos simply doesn't appear. Orbiterlog says nothing...

Last edited:

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think you could solve this issue by installing Cosmos again (and the new config file I posted a few days ago in this thread).

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Tried on a clean install...it works for the first time, just like it did in the "regular" install, only to ctd on any next loading...weird. Will have to look further into it. Still, thanks for the new configs and the scenarios!

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cosmos continues its way back to Earth:

cosmos_perihelium.jpg

This one is in the perihelium, before the course correction burn

cosmos_earth_moon.jpg

...a blue dot in the distance...

cosmos_earth_moon_02.jpg

Not so long at least...

orbital_insertion_over_nilus.jpg

Orbital insertion over Nile river. We're almost home!

I must say that the compression time rate of 10000x did not change the orbit of MarsBase in a significant way. Maybe my computer is so good or maybe Orbiter Beta includes some kind of orbital stabilization for high time compression rates, I don't know.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great screenshots again, Hispa! It's been an interesting mission so far.
I have to ask, though. How are the astronauts still on Mars getting home?

Hispa

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Who says they are going to go back to home? When I get tired of Mars, I want to send back to Mars the Cosmos refuelled and loaded with more ships to launch the base to Jupiter, that promises lots of adventures.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

As I saw I need a more reliable ship than Cosmos to continue this trip around the planets, I'm now modelling a new ship of about 350m long. The callsign for this ship is "modelo1", and there's still no textures and a lot of other works to do before I can use it.

I can say that each fuel tank is about 25m long x 8m diameter.

modelo1.jpg

See you tomorrow, guys!