Hardware HOTAS configuration in Orbiter

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm posting this because while the topic already has been discussed, I think a dedicated thread could be useful.

So how to configure a HOTAS for Orbiter 2016 ?

So far, the best answer I could find is there : https://www.orbiter-forum.com/threads/hi-there-been-5-years.40643/ (thanks @MaxQ !)

It does work, but with the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS it seems I can't use all the buttons, which is a pity. From what I can see, I think the "Fly by Wire" plugin has a limit of 32 buttons per controller, and Warthog exceeds that. Maybe I'm wrong and it is something else.

Thrustmaster Warthog is quite mature hardware (nearly 10-years-old), so has anyone managed to exploit its full potential in Orbiter 2016 ?

Of course discussions on other hardware will be welcome.

* HOTAS = Hands On Throttle And Stick (usually includes a throttle + a joystick + rudder pedals).

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Of course discussions on other hardware will be welcome.
I'm using the joystick Logitech Extreme 3D Pro without rudder pedals. It's quite comfortable during atmosperic flights, but not for RCS operations. Joystick's hotkeys can be assigned in a special program creating a game profile using Logitech Profiler for orbiter.exe located in /Orbiter/Modules/Server/orbiter.exe.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My issue has more to do with the axis recognition. True, the buttons can always be emulated through a third-party software (Thrustmaster has its own stuff that certainly does the job). But natively I think Orbiter only recognizes 4 axis : X/Y/Z (Pitch/Yaw/roll usually) + T (1x Throttle). I have an antique Microsoft Sidewinder 2 (with an impressive dead zone) that works perfectly that way.

Do you know how I could "link" the HOTAS axis with Orbiter ? Thrustmaster says their axis have a "0-65K definition" (which means there are 65536 possible values on each axis I think). And actually yes, they are very accurate.

Or, it is something you code at the addon level ? I'm almost sure the Orbiter API let you define custom axis. Like, if I want to use 2 throttle for both DG engines, I have to add an axis into the code and recompile the module ? I'm a bit lost.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Unfortunately I don't know, because I'm using only 4 standard axes without any additional settings inside Orbiter.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Although it would be nice to use a throttle for the hover engines (switch between main and hover ones). Maybe someone knows how to do that?

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Maybe a separate small box with 4 knobs (rheostats?), main, Hover, 2 for Shuttle-A, one for Auxiliary thrust, one for auxiliary alignment, connected USB, along with code.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@N_Molson, thanks, I've just tried it in Orbiter 2016, it really works (I assigned the trottle for hover engines). I also tried to use it in OpenOrbiter, but there isn't Fly-By-Wire parameters in Extra tab (I activated the plugin module).

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
@N_Molson, thanks, I've just tried it in Orbiter 2016, it really works (I assigned the trottle for hover engines). I also tried to use it in OpenOrbiter, but there isn't Fly-By-Wire parameters in Extra tab (I activated the plugin module).

I also tried it with the recent Orbiter versions and had no better luck than you :(

If the code of the addon is open-source, we might try to recompile it. Ideally adding more axis and buttons support in the process !

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"Interestingly", Thrustmaster's TARGET software emulates a virtual controller that OpenOrbiter doesn't see at all. Great.

E69shango

Reaction score
Fly by wire can do that, you can define an axis for the hover and even another axis for the retros I have configured my warthog that way. I f you click the ? near the device you can select wich one to use (joy or throttle).
Untitled.png
To be able to use more buttons simply map them using another software like joy2key or xpadder. I don't need to use all of them because I use another controller I made and is mapped with xpadder software. There's no need to use TARGET software.