House in a bubble?

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I've been wondering if it would be possible, or, better yet, practical, to encase a house and yard inside of an inflatable plastic bubble, in order to control interior climate. Why would anyone want to do this? Because it would be a cool thing to do, that's why. :p

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I have a house enclosed by walls, a roof and a floor. All have moisture barriers and the walls and roof provide thermal insulation by way of an air gap and fibreglass insulation batts. All doors and windows are fitted with rubber and felt draft seals. Sounds like a bubble to me...

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I have a house enclosed by walls, a roof and a floor. All have moisture barriers and the walls and roof provide thermal insulation by way of an air gap and fibreglass insulation batts. All doors and windows are fitted with rubber and felt draft seals. Sounds like a bubble to me...

Not foil insulation I see :p

Have you heard that they are calling for the roads minister to resign because he funds projects that can kill inexperienced people. ;)

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Not foil insulation I see :p
No, the stuff is rubbish. The biggest problem is that it obstructs the ceiling joists, making termites harder to detect.

Have you heard that they are calling for the roads minister to resign because he funds projects that can kill inexperienced people. ;)
:lol: Nice in-joke for the Aussies ;)

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
You have to worry more about the "Greenhouse effect" inside it. Heat and moisture will build up inside it, and it will take extra effort to control it.

You'd be better off making your house out of the bubble itself. It only takes 4 psi internal overpressue to support the structure. So you can make large structures from light materials (as long as you keep it inflated).

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

You say houses in bubbles, langston fields and so on, he's right up your alley.

eureka_s3.jpg

And I really mean up.