Launch News How A Trampoline Rocket Was Tempered - Angara rocket's maiden flight, July 9, 2014

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Seriusly, I don't understand what's the problem here. It would be more embarassing if the rocket blew up mid flight, wouldn't it?

Besides -- fear the designs which work on the first try. They will have a lot of childhood problems.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Yes, it would be more embarrassing.

Many rocket launches scrub, but usually the president of your country isn't watching you on live TV when you have to admit a technical problem.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Many rocket launches scrub, but usually the president of your country isn't watching you on live TV when you have to admit a technical problem.

Sure, but I wouldn't like to be chief engineer of the project and have the thing blowing up mid-air while Putin is watching, for sure. A rollback is way safer ! :shifty:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I don't think many are criticizing the decision to scrub.

Only that the situation were a scrub was required was somewhat embarrassing in the first place, given:

1) the PR attention placed on this launch
2) The company in question was already starting to develop a poor reputation based on past failures
3) Waiting longer for a launch that people have already been waiting 20 years for

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't think many are criticizing the decision to scrub.

Only that the situation were a scrub was required was somewhat embarrassing in the first place, given:

1) the PR attention placed on this launch
2) The company in question was already starting to develop a poor reputation based on past failures
3) Waiting longer for a launch that people have already been waiting 20 years for

Its a first launch attempt. You can't compare this to the opening of a factory or the roll-out of a new government homepage. There is no gradual transition to a new model, you can only decide to launch or to scrub and try later. Its much like the weather, you can't force the physics.

And yes, this means that the president might be watching a scrub during the first attempt. Or he might be seeing a glorious first launch. Or fireworks.

I would rather have him see a first launch with so much exhaust energy that he will need months to get this evil smile from his face... but well.

What is bad about the scrub: There is no launcher that had such a long development behind it like the Angara. Its overdue to launch.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What is bad about the scrub: There is no launcher that had such a long development behind it like the Angara. Its overdue to launch.

Yeah, but the argument can be reverted : a few more weeks won't change anything ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, but the argument can be reverted : a few more weeks won't change anything ;)

Well... my experience in project management there: If the mood is already bad a few seconds more can change everything. :lol:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
ugh, so what if the launch fails, just exit and reload the scenario, DUH! :rolleyes:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like the problem has been resolved and the next launch attempt will be on July 9! The rocket is scheduled to re-roll-out on Monday.

(it will be sandwiched between 2 Soyuz rocket launches on the day before and after, and the next Antares on 11th, all powered by Russian engines sharing lineage with that of Angara :hmm:)

In the meantime, enjoy these photos from the 1st launch attempt. :tiphat:

Eraser

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think it's priest's fault the rocket failed.
Certainly this is a priest's fault. He apparently decided to save money and used an expired holy water and recited prayers at half spiritual strength.
I hope that the Russian Orthodox Church will address these observations from the State Commission and will allocate more skilled Christian experts to perform this important task. :hailprobe:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Seeing a priest at a rocket launch making me fear that the rocket will splatter against the firmament...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
(it will be sandwiched between 2 Soyuz rocket launches on the day before and after, and the next Antares on 11th, all powered by Russian engines sharing lineage with that of Angara :hmm:)

Thats no problem, Putin will grease it up and shove it right into the launch schedule tightly between the two launchers barechested. :lol:

And then make the water really holy for the next try. Didn't somebody tell the priest that Vodka is a spirit, but not holy enough.

Scorpius

Reaction score
Since this launcher configuration is slightly different from the serial Angara 1.2, here's new meshes and scenario for [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5965"]Angara Launch Vehicle addon[/ame], if someone wants to recreate the launch: View attachment Angara Maiden Flight.zip

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The rocket is being filled up right now. There are reports that the launch may happen around 12:00 UTC today.