Software How do I get Orbiter 2016 to run in windows xp?

Delboy

Reaction score
Hi,
I have orbiter 2016 with the XR2 Ravenstar 1.7 addon installed on my Kubuntu box using wine. Performance is fine except instead of the left and right MFDs, I get two black squares. The buttons surrounding them are there. pressing the power button at the bottom does nothing. Any ideas how to fix this?

in an attempt to fix this, I created a partition and installed XP and tried that. However orbiter won't launch. I get a message saying "The application failed to start because the application is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I would prefer to get the MFDs working under wine. Any help getting it to launch under XP would be appreciated. Thanks

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Welcome to Orbiter-Forum! :cheers:

Regarding your question, the new XR vessels require Vista or newer in order to run; they cannot run on Windows XP. From the XR download page:

XR download page said:
Important: XR vessels require Orbiter Space Flight Simulator 2016 and Windows Vista or newer; older Orbiter or Windows versions will not work.

I believe that Orbiter 2016 also requires Vista or newer, but I am not sure on that.

fort

Reaction score
Welcome to Orbiter-Forum! :cheers:
I believe that Orbiter 2016 also requires Vista or newer, but I am not sure on that.

Bonjour,

No, no: Orbiter 2016 still works with XP, at least for me with the SP3.

For the D3D9 client, it's another question, but for Orbiter basic, that's works.

Good day and thank you for your spacecraft.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hmmm, for the blank MFD's go to Extra->Instruments and panels, then change Enforce pow2 MFD display texture sizes.

Delboy

Reaction score
Thank you. It works now.

Thank you Jrolly. i follolwed your instructions. the options i had were no, yes and auto. Auto was selected. i changed it to no and th MFDs work now.

I'm using wine 2.0 in Kubuntu 1.04.5 with wine configures to emulate xp. This was my preferred solution. I didn't want to have to reboot into windows just for Orbiter.

Thanks for everyones' replies.