How do I install addons?

Sedna

Reaction score
Good lord, guys, how do I install addons?

Moving folders over ... where? All I have done so far is screwed up the program more then 10 times..

Help? D:

Joey

Newbie!
Reaction score
Hey Sedna,

normally ( and the that's the way I do it) you just move the folders in your main orbiter folder.
Let's say there are 5 folders like textures, sound and so on in your new addon folder.
Copy these folders and open your main orbiter folder (no subfolder! Just the plain orbiter folder).
Paste your previously copied folders. Windows will ask you, if you want to overwrite them. Click yes.

Done! ( In my case :) )

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Joey

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
The process will only overwrite files of the same name. You will find that most addons just add new files to the folders, so none are overwritten. The folders you drop in, will merge with those that already exists, not replace them.

The only time I have ever actually overwritten exisiting files is when I'm repalcing default textures with hi-res ones or something similar. Well produced addons will tell you if the installation will replace any exisitng files.

One thing to consider: Since Orbiter is just an unzipped set of files it is very easy to have multiple copies on your HD. Many orbiteers run several copies for different addon compilations. e.g. NASA historical, Hi-res, futuristic sci-fi, etc. With one that they use to test new addons to check they do not damage or change the file structure. If it works on your test bed then you can safely install it onto another one without worry. It is worth running orbiter each time you install a new addon to check for incompatabilities, rather than adding 15 then running it. Makes bug hunting (should it be necessary) much easier.

Lastly, some addons which use mfd functions and such, will also require you to activate a module in the module tab of the orbiter load screen. Some addons will also require other tweaks to work. Best rule I can give you is read the addons enclosed instructions. All good addons will explain any steps you need to take.

The manual approach required is a reflection of the fact orbiter is free. Plus the community is great, so any specific problems you have, just ask here.

hope that helps

Sedna

Reaction score
Yeah, it did help alot, never thought the process was so easy. o_O

Thank you. :D

Tommy

Reaction score
You can usually just unzip them directly into your orbiter folder. When you first open the add-on in your unzip utility (before actually extracting them) check to see if the files have pathnames. Look for folder names like "modules" or "textures" or "config". Make sure that your unzipper is set up to use relative path names. Depending on the utility it may have an option to "use folder names" or "use relative path" or "keep directory structure intact"

A few rare add-ons don't work this way, but almost every dev packages their add-ons to work this way. Some add-ons, especially bases, may require you to edit some config files, see the manual or "readme" that came with it for instructions. MFD's (and OrbitSound, absolute killrot, etc) will need to enabled in the "Modules" tab of the launchpad before they are available. The add-ons manual should mention if this is needed.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Slightly off-topic - I always keep a backup copy of my install before I install an add on and I use Microsoft's synctoy to keep the backup updated. It's saved my neck a few times before now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy