Advanced Question How to create bases

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
KW_SAMPLER_STATE

I think you might be missing rutime libraries for d3d9 (quick interpretation of a google search)

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
I was going to ask if your on linux, all the google replies were.

It's been solved for a "similar" case:

Re: Playdead Limbo game used to work before, now just throws errors

Post by jkfloris » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:06 pm

Does the game start with:
(replace /path/to/the/installation/directory/Limbowith the actual path)
Code: Select all
cd /path/to/the/installation/directory/Limbo
WINEPREFIX="$HOME"/.wine32 wine limbo.exe
# or
WINEPREFIX="$HOME"/.wine32 wine start /unix /path/to/the/installation/directory/Limbo/limbo.exe

maybe this helps:

https://forum.winehq.org#How_to_run_Windows_programs_from_the_command_line

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Unfortuneately I'm no Linux expert (I think there are several on the forum though, maybe post under Linux help?)
My poor suggestion would be try everywhere, OS, orbiter core etc.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It just spits out dozens of *.cab files wherever I try to extract it.
Thrre should be file named "setup" along with those cab files. Have you tried doing an in-folder search for any files with that file name?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have to issue an apology and an correction here. The actual file name is "DXSETUP.exe", not just setup.exe.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Found it and ran it, seemed to execute correctly. But now Orbiter_ng.exe just crashes at startup. I think I am supposed to be enabling a module or set something under Video, but there is no Dx related module to enable and the video tab won't open properly.
If you are running Orbiter 2016, then you extract the contents of https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/d3d9-for-orbiter-2016.5493/ into your root Orbiter folder and then the D3D9Client module should show up in the Modules tab. Enable that and the Video tab should show up. In OpenOrbiter, D3D9Client should be the one selected under "Graphics engine" on the Video tab as it comes with it pre-installed. Also, make sure that you are running Orbiter_NG (blue DG icon) and not Orbiter (red DG icon) as D3D9Client will only work if there's no other graphics client present!

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
If you are running Orbiter 2016, then you extract the contents of https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/d3d9-for-orbiter-2016.5493/ into your root Orbiter folder and then the D3D9Client module should show up in the Modules tab. Enable that and the Video tab should show up. In OpenOrbiter, D3D9Client should be the one selected under "Graphics engine" on the Video tab as it comes with it pre-installed. Also, make sure that you are running Orbiter_NG (blue DG icon) and not Orbiter (red DG icon) as D3D9Client will only work if there's no other graphics client present!
Thanks. I sorted this out with a fresh install. I deleted my previous posts on getting Orbiter_ng.exe running to clean up the thread.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Are surface tiles possible with the variable elevation terrain textures? Is there any way to get a more detailed surface texture for a particular area?

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Are surface tiles possible with the variable elevation terrain textures?
I'm afraid I haven't understood what you mean correctly. Could you clarify this question?
Is there any way to get a more detailed surface texture for a particular area?
You can make your own custom highly detailed surface textures for the area you want. You just need to find the highly detailed satellite map of the area (or draw it yourself :)).

You could look the pictures of the Ascension Island addon (or try this addon). It has highly detailed surface textures, but the default elevation tiles.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I'm afraid I haven't understood what you mean correctly. Could you clarify this question?

You can make your own custom highly detailed surface textures for the area you want. You just need to find the highly detailed satellite map of the area (or draw it yourself :)).

You could look the pictures of the Ascension Island addon (or try this addon). It has highly detailed surface textures, but the default elevation tiles.
That's essentially the idea - I'd like higher surface texture resolution in the vicinity of the base I am making. I did download the high-res textures for just the New England area from https://mirror.orbiter-radio.uk/orbiter/assets/earth.html, but I am not sure if they actually were applied. I don't know if I necessarily need custom textures, but I was hoping that the high resolution textures might have some suggestions of some large local bits of the terrain (lakes, major highways, etc.)

EDIT: The high res textures seem to have been applied, and there are some hints of local features, but a little more detail in the airport vicinity would be welcome.

Last edited:

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
but a little more detail in the airport vicinity would be welcome
The only way for this purpose I personally see is to make custom surface textures for an area using additional satellite maps. The default highly detailed textures are pretty good, but not enough to use them for bases, I think.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The default highly default textrues have different resolution for various areas. For example, what how the Isle of Man looks. Left - default "higly detailed" textures, right - custom textures I've got from a satellite map:

m1.pngm2.png

Of course, it wasn't necessary to make custom textures for the whole island, but I just wanted to do that. (I've put this project on hold for now.)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The default highly default textrues have different resolution for various areas. For example, what how the Isle of Man looks. Left - default "higly detailed" textures, right - custom textures I've got from a satellite map:

View attachment 38265View attachment 38266

Of course, it wasn't necessary to make custom textures for the whole island, but I just wanted to do that. (I've put this project on hold for now.)
Can you point me to any guidance or tutorial to do this?

LordCroussette

Quebec City's Resident Base Builder
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Can you point me to any guidance or tutorial to do this?
I personally learned how to make tiles from @jacquesmomo on DanSteph's forum (here: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=14669.0). Unfortunately, the tutorial is in French, so you will need to translate the pages. And, due to the nature of translations, it might come out more confusing than the original.

However, I intend to write a full-blown tutorial on how to make bases this summer, from tiles, to flattened areas, to placing objects, to basic mesh making in 3DS Max. The whole smash. So, if you are willing to wait, then that will be an option ;)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I personally learned how to make tiles from @jacquesmomo on DanSteph's forum (here: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=14669.0). Unfortunately, the tutorial is in French, so you will need to translate the pages. And, due to the nature of translations, it might come out more confusing than the original.
Yes, I have seen this, and I assume that the process involves some editing of the textures, but I also know that it's not quite as simple as editing a picture.
However, I intend to write a full-blown tutorial on how to make bases this summer, from tiles, to flattened areas, to placing objects, to basic mesh making in 3DS Max. The whole smash. So, if you are willing to wait, then that will be an option ;)
That sounds fine. I have the terrain flattening and Orbiter's base object definitions sorted. I think I can make the buildings and hangars based off a scaled satellite image. If at some point in the future I can enhance it with a more detailed tile that would be the icing on the cake.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
One other question I have - is there a runway texture or some other means of putting runway numbers on the runway on a base?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
One other question I have - is there a runway texture or some other means of putting runway numbers on the runway on a base?

Yes, there is and you can specify it. AFAIR, you can specify the UV mapping on the runway to use the texture as good as possible.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, there is and you can specify it. AFAIR, you can specify the UV mapping on the runway to use the texture as good as possible.
What would the procedure be to do this? There is nothing in the Orbiter_Config documentation that shows how to do this.