Meshing Question How to cut a mesh into two halves in anim8or

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hi it's me again in noob mode :)facepalm:)! I'm trying to make the two halves of the fairing of a rocket by using the lathe function in anim8or, but I was unable to find a tool that could cut it into two complete halves. What should I do?

GPS

Attachments

• SZX2.jpg
    SZX2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 14

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, I know that one :

1) Convert everything to meshes. (Build -> Convert to Mesh)
2) Select the front view and zoom enough to be precise.
3) In the Mesh mode, use the "Cut Faces" tool (looks like a machete) by holding and drawing a line horizontally.

You now have two independant meshes :)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, I know that one :

1) Convert everything to meshes. (Build -> Convert to Mesh)
2) Select the front view and zoom enough to be precise.
3) In the Mesh mode, use the "Cut Faces" tool (looks like a machete) by holding and drawing a line horizontally.

You now have two independant meshes :)

That's exactly what I did, but it seems that it only made a dent on the whole surface, and I can't choose between the two halves. :shrug:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Here's what I do when working on a fairing or something...

Using point select I'll highlight the bulk of the points south (or north, whatevs) of the "equator", but not those located on the "equator" (I'm using the word equator as a substitute for the horizontal line, but I guess you could probably figure that out...).

Anyway, once selected, delete them. Now zoom in and enlarge the nose section to take up as much real estate as you can. And use the machete that N_Molson referenced to make one (1) small cut at the very tip of the mesh as close to the horizontal split as you can make it. If you don't do this, you may wind up with a very small hole in the fairing that you'll not notice until much later.

Anyway, making this cut will create a new point. Do not delete this point, but delete all the other ones on that side of the mesh. You should be left with only half a fairing, mirror this along the horizontal axis and you have your fairing.

There are other methods, but this one is pretty quick and cheap.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes sorry, I confused myself with something else. The method I use is the one described above. Just delete the lower or upper half of the point, leaving those on the "equator".

The machete is more useful when you want to cut a mesh in a way that doesn't fit the shape (and then the points).