General Question How to simulate the early inboard cut out on AMSO Apollo 13 mission? [SOLVED]

gh_florin

Reaction score
Hello! I did notice that the AMSO vessels have a "DAMAGE" property that can take one of a few values, and that conveniently there is a "3" option which means "20% loss of thrust". I imagine this could approximately simulate losing one of the five engines on the second stage - but here comes the problem:

The damage should occur at the correct time. There is also a property "DAMCNTDWN" present in a few AMSO demo scenarios, but it seems like it doesn't work, unfortunately. No matter what value the countdown takes, the configured "DAMAGE" always occurs right at the beginning of the scenario. Maybe it is a typo in the demo scenarios and the property has another name? like "DMG" instead of "DAM"? I tried with many variations of it, and always got the same result: selected damage occurs at the beginning. Has anyone gotten it to work? Set up a custom damage to occur at specific time? Or maybe there is a better way to simulate the early inboard cut out, which doesn't involve using AMSO damage? Thank you!

gh_florin

Reaction score
I think I found a solution. Not perfect, but I'm happy with the results. Here it is:
1. Enable damage and failure in orbiter setting (it's required anyway, if you want to have the cryo tank explosion later in the mission)
2. During ascent, at GET 00:05:00 save the scenario (just in case)
3. At around GET 00:05:27 start tapping F12 a few times until the bottom left message reads "50% probability", stop touching anything and wait. This will trigger a damage event in about 3 seconds. (Try to aim for GET 00:05:32)
4. Damage occurs: this damage will almost always be a "20% loss of thrust" event. Hit "K" to ignore it. If you get the wrong kind of damage (engine fails, or AP malfunction) just load the save from step 2 and try again.
5. Immediately after damage occurs, start tapping F11, to lower the probability of future failures. Get it as low as possible. This will make sure you have a smooth ride until the big event that will occur in about 2 days from now.
6. Continue flying apollo 13. If you have Sound pack, the dialogue should be on time with the events. Enjoy!

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The AMSO DLLs have strings for PROBABILITY, DAMCNTDWN and DAMAGE. So the should look for those....
Maybe INVULNERABLE must be set (to false)?

Just my findings - maybe it helps

1710371047871.png