Programming Question How to make a vessel?

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
I am new to making addons, and I have been wondering how to make a vessel.

Thank you guys before hand.:)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Can you be more specific? Rocket or winged?
Either way there are some good tutorials to get you started. I've made some winged craft as a learning project, but they all look like crap and I'd never subject the Orbiter community to them.
I'm working on a series of rockets that are pretty close to being good enough for release, perhaps we can help each other out on the learning curve?

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15265

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
they all look like crap

:rofl:

BTT

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/tutorials.php

Tutorials for Addon Developers

check out the ones for spacecraft.dll and how to model a rocket.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Sure.

I was looking for a multi stage rocket. I sould have put that in right away. :p

For multistage look at
multistage2 by vinka

the tutorials and samples should get you going really quick.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
MJR has put together a short tutorial on multistage, by the time I'd found it I'd learned things the hard way.
What gets me pulling my hair out is the guidance file, you can't start in the middle (where the trouble normally lies). In order to see if the whole thing will work out properly one needs to sit through the whole sequence. Over and over and over and....

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There is an excellent tutorial about the Surveyor probe. It was really useful to understand the basics of C++ & Orbiter's instructions. The most difficult was to set-up the compiler ! After that, that's a lot of work. I've just began to learn, my first try was a "realistic-lunar shuttle PB" with skids, small SRBs that could not be stopped once ignited (with a key to activate them), no hovers, it was just a modification of the basic PB. It learned me a lot, but it was a very useless ship, I searched but I couldn't find it any use lol.

Now I'm working on a multistage Delta-IV rocket, basically it works but programming a working and flexible launch guidance program is especially challenging. I also still have to learn how to connect my modules with OrbiterSound & how saving the state of the rocket in a scenario file... That's a lot of work !

But it's really fun :lol:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For rockets, you could also take a look at Velcro Rockets, adding payload is easier with Velcro than with multistage in my opinion, and you don't have to create a guidance file. But it has some limitations with exhaust textures and contrails.