Question HUD routines

Sword7

Reaction score
Folks,

I was looking for HUD routines but they are not in OVP sources or DG sources.

Does anyone know where are HUD routines that display full-screen cockpit panel?

Thanks,
Tim Stark

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Well, no one responded but I now found HUD routines (clbkDrawHUD and clbkRenderHUD) in DeltaGlider.cpp (in Orbiter's orbitersdk package). They built vertexes and called oapiRenderHUD functions to draw vertexes.

Unfortunately, they are in closed-source Orbiter's API.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6023"]This HUD Drrawer SDK[/ame] is what you are looking for. Sample MFDs using it: LaunchMFD and RV Orientation.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does anyone know where are HUD routines that display full-screen cockpit panel?

What do you mean? HUD drawing or 2D cockpit panel drawing?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I mean HUD drawing routines like pitch ladder, compass tape, direction, velocity vector, etc. I was looking for routines but can't find them.

I see. Yes, the algorithms for the standard HUD elements you listed above are implemented in Orbiter itself. I don't think they are very complicated, though. May I ask why you need them?

Sword7

Reaction score
I see. Yes, the algorithms for the standard HUD elements you listed above are implemented in Orbiter itself. I don't think they are very complicated, though. May I ask why you need them?

I now know that HUD elements are in Orbiter API. I was looking for them to learn how to write own flight simulator myself. I now found info in Principles of Flight Simulation by David Allerton.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was looking for them to learn how to write own flight simulator myself.

Ok. What about open-source flight simulators like FlightGear? You can check that code for HUD rendering or even full instrument simulations.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So the RV Orientation HUD drawing is no good for you then? 3D docking corridors, plus 3D arrows for the 6 DOF's, plus data elements ...

(It's been a while since I wrote it, but I remember being pretty excited when I figured out how to drop my guidance rectangles on top of Martins!)

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So the RV Orientation HUD drawing is no good for you then? 3D docking corridors, plus 3D arrows for the 6 DOF's, plus data elements ...

I guess docking corridors is not necessary for a flight simulator. But we don't know what he really understands under the term "flight".
If he struggles with basic elements already, I think advanced HUD drawings would just "block the view".

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess docking corridors is not necessary for a flight simulator. But we don't know what he really understands under the term "flight".
If he struggles with basic elements already, I think advanced HUD drawings would just "block the view".

It's an example of displaying simple text on the HUD, plus simple graphics. (I.e. the RV Orientation arrows are conceptually identical to a ladder/tapes display). Eh, whatever...

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
*Enjo pats Andrew on the back
Hey, you've done great work. Soon we'll have it all automated and interconnected :)

Last edited: