Science Icon A5 - New Light Sport Aircraft

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
uhmm... to me it does not exactly look sexy like a sports car. And it does not offer the performance you would expect of its suggested attributes. No doubt though it fulfills its tasks. And it has relatively low price.

These suckers however just scream performance. Two friends of mine designed and built it, one of them is flying the dual seater in the background:

300_342.jpg

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Those "suckers" will easily kill a low-time pilot. The airplane in the OP is meant to be easy to fly for beginners, to encourage more people to learn to fly. High performance stunt planes, not so much.

Interesting airplane, I wish them luck. I'm not so sure a 139 grand is exactly affordable, though. Maybe wait and see how they do, and if the company's still around for service in a few years used ones will be affordable.

I don't care for the sports car cockpit, personally. I do like the instruments being easy to see and all, but it doesn't look easy to install new avionics in. If these instruments are Icon-only items, you have a get replacements from the factory. I also think that for flying with my left hand (right hand on the throttle) a yoke is easier than a stick, but I could get used to it.

Pretty cool, though, always nice to see new airplanes.

One last thing: the writer of the article calls the Cessna Skyhawk an "ugly lumbering beast". But he's not a pilot, so what does he know.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
It had me in every way.... until the bit about a right hand throttle. Um... no.

I'm left handed, but aircraft and controlled with the right, and throttled with the left. That's the end of it. A mouse, a gun, a baseball bat.... those thing can work with either hand, but a joystick belongs on the right, throttle on the left. These people are out of their minds.

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Quite a nice airplane. Though I don't prefer the looks of the interior, it reminds a bit like a cheap plastic Ford Ka interior. (wait.. it's almost exactly the same, except for the missing steering wheel and moving map!)

The airplane itself reminds me to the HB-23:

HB23_D-KOWI.JPG

1016611180_a9ce2c99f6.jpg

Kind of same fuselage shape, same T-tail, push prop, etc, but these where made in the '70! :)
Also a bit like the Multiplex Easystar modelplane, anyone? ;)

BTW, I'm completely left handed too. However, I use the mouse with right, and also learned to fly with right, from the beginning (because speedbrakes have to be operated with the left hand, during landing sequence). So I guess one could learn to fly with the other hand for a while..

I noticed it's just like having sticks on both sides, and throttle in center like in our Super Dimona, here's a picture I took:
(sorry about the horizon: it's a stitched image)

Attachments

• pan01_cropped_klein.jpg
    pan01_cropped_klein.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 18

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Almost every two-seat light airplane cockpit has the throttle in the middle so it can be reached from both seats, including the Cessnas I learned to fly in. The pilot-in-command almost always sits in the left-had seat, which is where most of the instruments are, and so that he can see to his left in a standard left-hand landing pattern. (Helicopters put the PIC on the right, but helicopters are wierd anyway.)

So if an uncoordinated jackape like me can learn to fly a real airplane with his left hand, so can you. It's a lot easier than you think. Just like driving a car with your left hand on the wheel and right hand on the stick shift.

Although with a stick instead of a yoke, I would prefer to use my right hand, F-16 style.

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
One last thing: the writer of the article calls the Cessna Skyhawk an "ugly lumbering beast". But he's not a pilot, so what does he know.

Well, they are slow, ugly, and lumbering, but safe and practical. Can't give that up.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
No, they are slow, pretty and graceful, but I guess it's all personal taste.

Slow, pretty and graceul for an aircraft involves canvas, wire, and multiple wings. ;)

Like you said, personal taste, but I think those old kites are the best looking aircraft ever made, nevermind the romance of the period. :hotcool:

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
No, they are slow, pretty and graceful, but I guess it's all personal taste.

You know what's pretty and graceful...J-3's on pontoons!!! Can't wait til spring break...gonna get some real flying in!