[IDEA] OPF turn-around between missions prototype

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I just thought about something, but that would be perfectly low priority right now, so I wouldn't mind if GLS and you complain about the distraction. It is just an idea to experiment with something.

1. Question: Does DaveS have a good mesh of the OPF?
  2. Idea: Test a turn around of a orbiter in the OPF from one mission configuration to another.
  3. Concept: For simplicity in the experiment, just do a three stage main process there:
    1. Access needed tasks in the OPF by comparing new mission file with current status of the orbiter. Assume no failures yet.
    2. Execute tasks without special ordering right now, even if it looks unrealistic. Assume unrealistic times for each task, but each task should have a non-zero time to execute. All tasks are assumed to be of the same generic type, without specialization. Use a pool of executing agents in the OPF to represent limited resources of technicians.
    3. Finalize: Declare orbiter as "ready for transport", stop the transition to the next mission process.
  4. The whole process can stop here for the experiment.
  5. Communication with the orbiter should happen via an implementation neutral "user model" of the internal subsystems, so we don't need to recompile the SSU_OPF.DLL every time the orbiter changes. The definition how to utilize such a user model should be placed into libUltra.

From that point, things could be further fleshed out:

• We could let the player use the planned ground vehicles to transport the orbiter to the VAB and do an unrealistic integration there, as already planned.
  • We could make the tasks and the execution model more realistic, for example, by automatically creating PERT models internally.
  • We could include failures into the accessing tasks.

I am not 100% sure about the effort needed. I suspect it could be broken down into 3-4 bigger programming tasks and each task would take about a weekend.

Why I am talking about that: in January 2018, we have the 10th anniversary of our project. We can't get it completed until then at the current slow, but steady pace. But maybe we can have some of the bigger goals of the project realized, like for example allowing a turn-around between missions and flying multiple missions in sequence.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Exterior, yes, interior no. I have tried several times in the past, but never come up with any good results.

Not yet needed for a prototype, a very simplistic interior to just avoid seeing the sky would be enough for the test, I think.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not yet needed for a prototype, a very simplistic interior to just avoid seeing the sky would be enough for the test, I think.
That is already in place. The OPF meshes were made with an interior in mind.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That is already in place. The OPF meshes were made with an interior in mind.

Great, then this could be used as it is. Any recommendation about which OPF to use for the test? OPF 1&2 or just OPF 3?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Great, then this could be used as it is. Any recommendation about which OPF to use for the test? OPF 1&2 or just OPF 3?
All three are equally functional from a mesh perspective, with none showing any advantage of the others. OPF-3 is closer to the VAB but farther from the SLF.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
All three are equally functional from a mesh perspective, with none showing any advantage of the others. OPF-3 is closer to the VAB but farther from the SLF.

Doesn't matter (since moving the orbiter into or out of the OPF is not of concern at the beginning), but I am not sure if it makes sense to do it them all at once.

Technically speaking, I would need such a hierarchy then:

OPF.DLL
Vessel
(magic)
Highbay

With the parameters for the highbays coming from the cfg file.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, but I am not sure if it makes sense to do it them all at once.

Technically speaking, I would need such a hierarchy then:

OPF.DLL
Vessel
(magic)
Highbay

With the parameters for the highbays coming from the cfg file.
The OPF HBs are identical both in shape and dimensions.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The OPF HBs are identical both in shape and dimensions.

Yes, but their position relative to the surrounding mesh is not, also different meshgroups would later be needed to be animated. In a future iteration.

Assuming we assume :rofl: a fixed orientation of the highbay in the mesh (hangar door points to -Z, so the shuttle and the highbay have practically parallel coordinate systems), we just need a reference coordinate for each highbay.

Also the OPF3 is slightly different in some small details, but that is a matter of mesh and animations.