Idea to make orbiter more rewarding

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed they are. What I'm always missing with these creative addons, though, is actual feedback on how the feature is received. Perhaps a good way to gather that is to create a list of features and/or whole addons that can be considered "gamification POC", where people can say "hey, never heard about that one, I'll try it", together with a feedback if it was good or bad experience. Over time, this could be a nice database of things that are worth implementing more integrated (or concentrated, in lack of a better term) in order to make Orbiter more rewarding.

Proponents of gamification here could do that without the need for programming skills.

I really agree with this!

Longjap

Reaction score
Good idea...let's go back to the original topic.

So basicly to make satelites/probes more "immersive", we need a mix of:
-TDRS addon, which seems to be simulating some kind of "hypothetical line of sight-logic".
So this logic takes care about vessel-orientation vs. ground/satelite-receiver and distance.

-Some part of the MT4-vessel logic, which takes care about data-transmission time vs. vessel-attitude(line of sight to reciever).
Also distance should influence data-transmission data.

-MBR_ITS solar-array logic(use-selectable in case of i.e. nuclear-driven systems):
To determine power available at solar-cells to "power" the data-transmitter and to speed-up data-transmission.

For the beginning, it might be enough to transmit some data we allready have...i.e. some data from the bodies' CFGs.

This could be extended later with i.e. additional CFGs with more (wiki-like) information in it (i.e. just a free-form txt-file...to keep it simple)

The received data could be then displayed in a remote MFD (i.e.running on a ground-ops data recieving "vessel").

To summarize, this addons might be helpfull for this idea:

Space Network Plugin
ELIS - MT4
ITS solar panels modules
Notes MFD

Awesome. Thanks for your help. This gives me an idea of what's needed to implement the ideas. Yeah, only a prove of concept would relieve my hunger for the time being. :)

So: Power>Line of Sight>Data Gathering>Line of Sight>Send>Recieve

I really like the idea of having to manoeuvre the satellite correct to transmit data by use of line of sight and the time added for the signal to "reach" the receiving vessel at Earth.

Also "the proximity to body shows relating info" is used in the code for the Arrow Freighter if I understand correctly.

I have to go get these add-ons.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No need, I know you're all a bunch of cold hearted, elitist bastards. :p

I OBJECT! Stone-hearted it is, dammit!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WboggjN_G-4"]Life of Brian - The People's Front of Judea - YouTube[/ame]

Floater

Reaction score
Longjap said:
Can you point out where I or someone else was bleating for "someone" to make the magic a reality? Honestly, I don't get the hostility, at all.

Longjap said:
I was a bit annoyed to see all these experienced people putting their energy in disproving another ones dreams and not staying OT and helping my slightly more realistic gamify cheap talk in the right direction.

And this is what it all is about.

I came to the conclusion that I have the advice here (of course not for Longjap, but for those who felt offended*):
Before starting a quarrel it would be good to identify if someone wants you to implement the dream in question OR wants something else. In the case of the latter - there is no valid cause for emotions, especially the bad ones.

And to state the things clear for any future discussions:
In the so called "gamification" topic - I have already started doing it myself (which I have clearly stated already, before any quarreling was started). So, if I understand the things good, this is not a problem at all.

-----------------
So now @Longjap:

I am not so experienced here as the others, but I think, that You can try to start with your sattelite thing my way: there is the possibility to write an MFD in Lua script. Maybe it would be good to start with the Lua MFD which will check - for example - the distance from the body and - if the satellite is close enough - will show some textual data from config file...

-----------------
*???!!

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"Just" do it. Please.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There was an economic addon of sorts years ago (ar81 I think).
I'd long wished for some sort of economy based missions along the lines of the Privateer side missions. I've sort of implemented something like that on my own using a spreadsheet...

Base A produces fuel, needs food water and raw mat'ls
Base B produces metals (copper/gold/platinum etc), needs same as Base A
Base C produces pharmaceuticals
etc.

UCGO was great for this because the consumables needed replacement. What I had troubles with was determining the costs for goods. Also as the project went on I got to thinking about how families would evolve (child rearing/education). Then work decided to ramp up and everything went to pot.

I wouldn't think of this as gamification in a classic sense. Star Wars/Star Trek shoot em up weapons and physics to me would be gamification. SimCity or Civ on the Earth/Moon/Mars or Jovian moons would bring a gaming element but is far more cerebral (to me anyway).

Last edited: