Question IMFD 4.22 Missing menu items

nigelb

Reaction score
Hello everyone - I am fairly new at Orbiter, although I did have a version from several years ago. I now have Orbiter 2010 installed and I am trying the IMFD Full Manual/playback scenarios. I find my IMFD does not list Surface Launch on the first menu screen and I am wondering what is up with that.

I also installed IMFD 5.3, but only activate one version at a time in the Modules Launchpad. Now in that version, the Surface Launch menu item does appear, Very strange.

I also had to change the playback scenario files when using IMFD 5.3 to add a reference to the flight files - as an example:
BEGIN_DESC
Total Time at Recorded Speed: 24:43
Total Time at 1x time warp: 8:21:29
playback\IMFD Tutorial #2--Mars to Phobos <<<<< line added
--------remainder ommittted -------------

Without that line, the on-screen dialogue does not appear in the tutorial. I discovered that on a hunch and mention it in case it can help another user with the same problem.

Ok, enough for my first post. Any help appreciated!

Tommy

Reaction score
IMFD 4.22 doesnt have Surface Launch. It's also obsolete.

The reason it was recommended was because in some of the earlier 5.x versions Orbit Insert didn't work correctly - but this has been fixed.

You can just use IMFD 5.3, and ignore the "Full Manuals" advice to use 4.22.

orbekler

Reaction score
But the last IMFD version shouldn't be 5.5?

nigelb

Reaction score
Thanks Tommy - that would explain the problem! :thumbup:

orbekler Yes, I do have version 5.5 of IMFD - that was typo in my original post. :facepalm:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
The reason why Jarmonik himself recommends to install/download version 4.22 too is

Manual of the 4.2.2 release do contain some essential information that is not included in later manuals. Installation of 4.2.2 doesn't remove existing installations of new versions.

I downloaded that version just for the documentation.

nigelb

Reaction score
Yes, I also downloaded version 4.22 for the documentation and that caused my confusion. I installed the module because some of the older tutorials mentioned that version, or version 4.21, but apparently 4.21 is not compatible with Orbiter 2010. That document does mention Surface Launch but it is accessed in a different way than in later versions. It is not an option on the first menu screen as it is in version 5.5. Anyway all is ok now - I kept the documentation for the old version but ditched the old module.