Misc IMFD 5.7 with the Arrow Freighter - A "How To"

Eccentric

Reaction score
If you have watched a few IMFD tutorials, but are still confused, here is the simple information you need to know. I also discuss a few brief points about the Arrow itself; be assured the IMFD information works for other craft also.

Before you reach the 10 minute mark, you will have the core information you need, however, if you want to see that principle in action -- how I actually use it -- then I invite you to watch the rest of the video. It's about 50 minutes in total, but I'll take you through a complete trip from Earth orbit to Mercury (the hardest planet to get into orbit around), then a setup for the moon, and lastly, an approach to Saturn, with a diversion to Titan using a slingshot (though I actually use the Target Intercept for that maneuver).

I said a few bone headed things along the way; in my defense I was talking unscripted.
  • I said the shape of the orbits you might see may look different because I've changed my thrust values on the Arrow. In truth, timings and burn duration are the only things that will change.
  • Approaching Mercury, I said my orbit prediction on the Map showed my orbit doubling back on itself -- no it didn't.

I probably said a few other stupid things in there, but I promise the core information is accurate.

Since making the tutorial I've noticed questions about traveling from the Moon to Earth. In my video when setting up for Earth to Moon, I mention that you don't do an Orbit Ejection burn because you aren't leaving Earth's orbit -- you are just changing your orbit. Coming back, however, you will want an ejection burn because you will be leaving the Moon's orbit.

There are a lot of ways I've seen people do this, and so long as the method works, who cares? My solution would be this:

While in orbit of the moon:
  1. Use Planet Approach
  2. Apply "The Rule"
    1. Target - Equator (or your preference)
    2. Source - Moon
    3. Ref - Earth
  3. Set your EqI and PeA to your desired values.
    1. I recommend you keep your target PeA above 200K unless you intend to deorbit right away. Then you should probably be using Base Approach instead.
  4. Open a second IMFD instance
  5. Link it to the first
  6. Select Orbit Ejection
  7. Make sure you select the "Course" option.
  8. Then activate AB (Auto Burn)
    1. Expect to have to wait for the Time to Burn to come around. You can safely time accelerate.
Now that you are out of the Moon's orbit:
  1. Wait til you are out of it's Sphere of Influence (at least red, but better wait till it's below 0.1
  2. Go back to your Planet Approach program.
  3. The Moon is no longer gravitationally important, so re-apply The Rule.
    1. The Source now becomes Self.
  4. Do the burn.
  5. Wait maybe until halfway home, check if you need a correction burn -- do it if necessary.
  6. Switch to Orbit Insert, make sure it is set to Eccentricity mode, and activate the AB (Auto Burn)
    1. As with the Orbit Eject, you'll have to wait for the right time to burn. The autopilot takes care of that, so you can safely accelerate time.
Once Orbit Insert is complete, you are back in orbit of Earth.

So, without further ado, here is my video. Hope you find it useful:

IMFD 5.7 with Arrow

You may need to manually turn up the resolution -- it tends to default to a lower res.

At the time of this posting, the maximum offered is 720p. I uploaded it in 2K, so I don't know why higher res isn't available. 720p is good enough to read all the instruments, however.

Last edited:

nbcfrosty

Reaction score
Very nice, probably one of the best tutorials I have ever seen for orbiter.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@Eccentric: in the wiki, there is a page of checklists for the various programs in IMFD here. For the Orbit Insert program, it is suggested to use IMFD 4.2 as the one in 5.7 doesn’t work well. So, for orbit insert, do you use 5.7 or 4.2? Thanks.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@Eccentric I would strongly discourage the use of scenerio editor to advance time. It a lot of cases it won't cause any issues, but you lose a lot of accuracy (you're effectively introducing one giant timestep into the simulation). For some addons this will also cause serious problems.

nbcfrosty

Reaction score
@Eccentric I would strongly discourage the use of scenerio editor to advance time. It a lot of cases it won't cause any issues, but you lose a lot of accuracy (you're effectively introducing one giant timestep into the simulation). For some addons this will also cause serious problems.

This would only cause accuracy issues for vessel positions only or are celestial bodies also impacted?

JayCee

Reaction score
If you have watched a few IMFD tutorials, but are still confused, here is the simple information you need to know. I also discuss a few brief points about the Arrow itself; be assured the IMFD information works for other craft also.

Before you reach the 10 minute mark, you will have the core information you need, however, if you want to see that principle in action -- how I actually use it -- then I invite you to watch the rest of the video. It's about 50 minutes in total, but I'll take you through a complete trip from Earth orbit to Mercury (the hardest planet to get into orbit around), then a setup for the moon, and lastly, an approach to Saturn, with a diversion to Titan using a slingshot (though I actually use the Target Intercept for that maneuver).

I said a few bone headed things along the way; in my defense I was talking unscripted.
  • I said the shape of the orbits you might see may look different because I've changed my thrust values on the Arrow. In truth, timings and burn duration are the only things that will change.
  • Approaching Mercury, I said my orbit prediction on the Map showed my orbit doubling back on itself -- no it didn't.

I probably said a few other stupid things in there, but I promise the core information is accurate.

Since making the tutorial I've noticed questions about traveling from the Moon to Earth. In my video when setting up for Earth to Moon, I mention that you don't do an Orbit Ejection burn because you aren't leaving Earth's orbit -- you are just changing your orbit. Coming back, however, you will want an ejection burn because you will be leaving the Moon's orbit.

There are a lot of ways I've seen people do this, and so long as the method works, who cares? My solution would be this:

While in orbit of the moon:
  1. Use Planet Approach
  2. Apply "The Rule"
    1. Target - Equator (or your preference)
    2. Source - Moon
    3. Ref - Earth
  3. Set your EqI and PeA to your desired values.
    1. I recommend you keep your target PeA above 200K unless you intend to deorbit right away. Then you should probably be using Base Approach instead.
  4. Open a second IMFD instance
  5. Link it to the first
  6. Select Orbit Ejection
  7. Make sure you select the "Course" option.
  8. Then activate AB (Auto Burn)
    1. Expect to have to wait for the Time to Burn to come around. You can safely time accelerate.
Now that you are out of the Moon's orbit:
  1. Wait til you are out of it's Sphere of Influence (at least red, but better wait till it's below 0.1
  2. Go back to your Planet Approach program.
  3. The Moon is no longer gravitationally important, so re-apply The Rule.
    1. The Source now becomes Self.
  4. Do the burn.
  5. Wait maybe until halfway home, check if you need a correction burn -- do it if necessary.
  6. Switch to Orbit Insert, make sure it is set to Eccentricity mode, and activate the AB (Auto Burn)
    1. As with the Orbit Eject, you'll have to wait for the right time to burn. The autopilot takes care of that, so you can safely accelerate time.
Once Orbit Insert is complete, you are back in orbit of Earth.

So, without further ado, here is my video. Hope you find it useful:

IMFD 5.7 with Arrow

You may need to manually turn up the resolution -- it tends to default to a lower res.

At the time of this posting, the maximum offered is 720p. I uploaded it in 2K, so I don't know why higher res isn't available. 720p is good enough to read all the instruments, however.
Great video. One point that you were asking about: Changing GET to MFD permanantly in IMFD.
You can do this in the IMFD config file, under the General Configurations...
DateFormat 0
(0=MJD, 1=GET)

Make sure you restart Orbiter after the change.

JayCee

Reaction score
This would only cause accuracy issues for vessel positions only or are celestial bodies also impacted?
Primarily for vessel positions, since celestial bodies are running off epheremis modules (e.g. Mercury.dll in the Celbody folder of Modules) and not using step interpolations from Orbiter. How much depends on the step interpolation settings you choose in the Orbiter (find it in the Extras button on the Start Page, then Time Propogation) I usually use RK8 (Runge-Kutta 8th order) for long journeys (well, all journeys really, my computer isn't going to suffer from frame rates) and I get very good stable results. If you use RK8, then the Scenario Editor Date change shouldn't be a problem. Frame rate issues only occur when you have a massive number of vessels that need propagation in your scenario. If you are just doing the one ship, then have at it.

Last edited: