IMFD IMFD lunar course correction planning

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For some time now I have been working with a Surveyor lunar lander model. My launch vehicle automatically puts the spacecraft on a lunar impact trajectory. In the real missions, they did a midcourse correction about 16 hours after launch on a 65 hour flight. Just before impact, the spacecraft brakes and soft-lands. From the orbit design phase, it is similar to the Ranger lunar impact missions, until the braking rocket fires.

Like I said, the launch vehicle model I have puts the spacecraft on a lunar impact trajectory (usually) but it only knows how to aim for the moon, not any particular point on it. I don't need IMFD to plan the launch or TLI, but is there a way to use IMFD (or TransX for that matter) to plan a course correction which will result in a lunar impact at a particular base or lat/lon on the moon, at a particular time, taking as an initial condition the spacecraft already on a rough lunar impact trajectory?

The tutorials and example missions I have seen don't seem to cover my needs. Let me know if I missed something.

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The 'base appraoch' function of IMFD would be the best for this - it allows you to plan for a re-entry, which seems to be exactly what you are looking for.