Question IMFD versions

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
Are there differences in the IMFD versions. Shouldnt I always use the latest version?

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Sure there are differences, that's why they are called "versions".

I always update to the latest one when I notice it is available. It is not critical, but using the latest version is the best way to allow you to give meaningful feedback to the author.

EDIT: For clarity: in my experience the changes between versions, at least at the user interface level, are fairly minor. If you update regularly, it makes it easier for you to adapt to the latest one.

kevinvr

Reaction score
Are there differences in the IMFD versions. Shouldnt I always use the latest version?
Has your question got something to do with the IMFD tutorials? I also wondered about that because in the one interplanetary mfd tutorial it tells you to use the latest version and then later tells you to use a previous version for a reason i can't remember right now.
I didn't have time to complete the tutorial so I cant rmember all the details, but I agree with tblaxland, the latest versdions normally have new updates and fixes.

Tommy

Reaction score
The Orbit Eject program doesn't work correctly in versions after 4.2, IIRC. That would be the only reason to use an older version, and only for that purpose as the later versions are more capable and accurate.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The Orbit Eject program doesn't work correctly in versions after 4.2, IIRC. That would be the only reason to use an older version, and only for that purpose as the later versions are more capable and accurate.

It works for me.

If it gives the error "no data from course program". just switch the MFD's

Tommy

Reaction score
Apparently I was more tired than I realized last night. It's Orbit Insert that doesn't work on the newer versions, not Orbit Eject. My mistake - sorry for any confusion. I've always done my insertion burns manually with the retrograde AP, so it's never bothered me. However, Orbit Insert does help prevent overshooting the insertion point under time compression.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Apparently I was more tired than I realized last night. It's Orbit Insert that doesn't work on the newer versions, not Orbit Eject. My mistake - sorry for any confusion. I've always done my insertion burns manually with the retrograde AP, so it's never bothered me. However, Orbit Insert does help prevent overshooting the insertion point under time compression.

I concur.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What kind of condition is causing the Orbit Insert to fail. There has been many kind of problem with Orbit Insert but it should be fixed in 5.2. I have only tested it in the Earth/Moon system with Apollo and DG.

mbertelsen

Reaction score
The IMFD Full Manual ([ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4142"]IMFD Full Manual/Playbacks[/ame]) explicitly says you need both 4.2.1 and 5.3 because of a problem with orbit insert, perhaps you could contact the author.

Thanks for looking at this, it confused me, too.

Tommy

Reaction score
perhaps you could contact the author.

Jarmonik IS the author. As to whether or not OI works, I don't think I've tried it since 5.0 so I couldn't tell you. I'll give it a try this weekend if I can and report back.

The problem that I used to have was that OI tried to do the insertion burn as soon as you hit AB, rather than waiting for Pe.

mbertelsen

Reaction score
Jarmonik IS the author.

I meant that Jarmonik could ask the author of the "Full Manual" - mark316 according to orbit hangar - why he thinks it's broken. He (mark316) writes:
USE IMFD V4.2.1!!!!!!!! The Orbit Insert program in the later versions of IMFD is highly inaccurate, and it decreases your periapsis dramatically. For best results, have the current version of IMFD AND version 4.2.1. Use 4.2.1 for Orbit Insert and the latest version for everything else.
So far, I either do insertion burns manually, manually with TransX, or with the IMFD orbit circularize function autoburn, timed roughly using 1/2 burn time from periapsis time.

Last edited:

mjanicki

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What kind of condition is causing the Orbit Insert to fail. There has been many kind of problem with Orbit Insert but it should be fixed in 5.2. I have only tested it in the Earth/Moon system with Apollo and DG.

Jarmonik, I've been using version 5.3b with Deepstar, DG-IV, and Shuttle-A vessels around Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn for some time now. I have not seen a problem with orbit insert since an occasional problem I had noticed a long time ago with version 5.1.

-- Mike

mbertelsen

Reaction score
FWIW, I just did a very clean orbit insert with IMFD 5.3b at the moon using the UCGO Arrow. The final eccentricity was 0.0001, PeA 48.48k, ApA 48.74k. This with 10x time compression turned on most of the time, or off.

Maybe there are specific circumstances where there are a problem, but I won't avoid OI in 5.3b from now on.

:thumbup:

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yes, it works sometimes. It seems to work with low mass bodies (any moon) and low eccentricities (below 1.3 ish). But for a foolproof plan (approaching Pluto at an eccentricity of 14, for example), I have always used IMFD 4.2.1 because in my experience, versions above that will start the burn and finish it with your periapsis bay below the surface of the body. It may work for other people, though. This is just what I've been experiencing. If it works well for you, you should use 5.3.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have used slightly different algorithm in the Orbit Insert of 5.x compared to 4.2.1 It should be more fuel efficient but with a cost of falling periapis altitude. That was obviously a bad choise.
I just tested a lunar orbit insertion with DG using a source orbit eccentricity of 21 and there was no trouble with it. So, I would presume that the problem is more like a thrust specific problem. Right ? A low thrust can easily cause problems in every program of IMFD. Orbit Insert and Orbit Eject are the most sensitive in that matter due to high angular velocity.
I am already working with IMFD6 and the problem isn't as big as it first looked like so I wouldn't like to start fixing it right now.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is IMFD work correct in Orbiter beta 2009?
Yes, it's working in 2009 Beta and the LTMFD is also working.:thumbup:

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
So I just realized... I said to use 4.2.1 because that's the only one that orbit insert works in... and I was saying that 5.1 doesn't work :beathead:

Just tried orbit insert on 5.3b, and it works beautifully...please excuse my stupidity. I'm planning on releasing a version 2.0 once I get out of school (early may). I will include this update, typo fixes, and so far one other playback: flight to saturn with a direct transfer to Titan (just straight shot, no going into orbit around saturn or anything like that). If anybody else has another suggestion for a playback, please let me know so I can incorporate it.

kevinvr

Reaction score
S I'm planning on releasing a version 2.0 once I get out of school (early may). I will include this update, typo fixes, and so far one other playback: flight to saturn with a direct transfer to Titan (just straight shot, no going into orbit around saturn or anything like that). If anybody else has another suggestion for a playback, please let me know so I can incorporate it.
That is wondeful because we can use that full manual again. I am not very good at flying and only use the dgiv and arrow so far becuase of the help with autopilots:). I want to go through the manual gain especially for surface take-offs to get into orbit and to land on earth, by two biggest problems at the moment. I will download the 5.3b version and start learnining step by step again.
Thanks for a great manual and thanks to jarmonik for a fantastic mfd! The circularize program is a winner for getting an eccentric orbit. \I always use this for the Arrow so that it can circulate while waiting for the dgiv to take off and dock in the docking bay.
Thanks again!!