IMFD Interplanetary Course plane mode issue

Arkalius

Reaction score
Website
www.samfahmie.com
I'm using IMFD 5.3 and have been running missions to Mars. I've been using a November 2009 launch window. Based on what I get from IMFD, the Target Plane mode seems to be the most efficient. Based on what I can see, this mode sets a plane change maneuver at 90 degrees from your starting position, to a plane that intersects the target planet.

The problem I have is that the course program seems to keep this plane change location 90 degrees away from my current position, even after I've left Earth, and I never actually can get to it. I've found I can fix this by setting it to Manual at which point it stays put.

Is there something I am supposed to do to tell the course mode that I'm underway and the plane change location should stay put? I know I can run the prep plane change command to do it but then it makes it impossible to make any course corrections before the plane change. I suppose any corrections will be integrated into the plane change itself but it could be less efficient this way.

Tommy

Reaction score
Change the source from the planet to self (set source to "x") and ensure you are in realtime mode, not prograde.

Arkalius

Reaction score
Website
www.samfahmie.com
I think I've tried that and still have the same problem but I'll try again to make sure.

Update: I just tested it. I always change source to self after leaving Earth's SOI so I knew I had done that in the past. With Realtime mode on, the plane change maneuver location always stays 90 degrees ahead of my current position when set to target plane. If I switch to Off-Axis mode, it freezes everything, including any kind of correction burn calculation which means I can't determine correction burns so that doesn't really help.

It seems switcing to Manual Tgt mode is really the way to go when using a target plane type trajectory. You can even improve your overal dV by making tweaks to the plane change location.

Last edited: