IMFD Interplanetary: Ejection Windows?

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
I have read about any IMFD tutorial there is; but there is still something that I seem to miss.

The problem is, that in almost all tutorials the conditions for the explained transfers are just about perfect. There are no corrections needed, inclination is set and a good ejection window happens to be just ahead.

Now, where I have trouble is with more or less arbitrary transfers. Let's assume that fuel is not a major problem (still limited but no reason to wait for a perfect HTO). I am in LEO and want to launch to Mars.

The last time I did that accordings to tutorials, there were some ... weird things.

- Use Interplanetary Course
- Set 2nd IMFD to Shared, use Orbit Eject.

First of all, I noticed that the displayed EIn is totally different in Course and Orbit Eject MFD (over 70° degrees difference).

However, I reduced PlC in OE to 0, so EIn was about 0, too. I noticed that the EIn in the course window did not change.

The eject as such was roughly correct, at least course and map showed a trajectory to Mars I more or less anticipated.

However, in the end it turned out there was a second problem: I was never able to execute a proper injection burn when closing on Mars. It turned out that I never got near Mars SOI (Gravitiational Effect: 0.00G at PeT). :( Hmm. Maybe because the RInc was 12°? I thought that correcting EIn in Orbit Eject was enough...

I have a basic understanding for the tools, however, is it possible to list the steps which are neccessary to do an interplanetary transfer at any given point to another? (It's fine to wait a few days or even a week, just not 6+ months...)

I'd appreciate anyone experienced with IMFD who could give me some pointers...

thx.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Tangential transfer minimizes fuel expense, but it takes longer.
This type of transfer is what you might need.

Else you can use this ejection window of mine... :lol::cheers:
images

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Tangential Transfer does not work for LEO -> Mars....

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Gonna check...
Sorry about the joke. I just could not resist...
This joke was planned for a moment of silly humor of mine.

Last edited:

pilotpercy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
have you tried transx? i use that much more than IMFD. 60% of the time, it works 100% of the time. sorry just watched anchor man, my method is to sit on the ground, plan my sortie and then it will give me an ejection date. i then change the date using the scenario editor to a day or so before said date, launch into LEO, get on the correct inclination and wait x ammount of time to initiate my ejection burn. bobs your uncle your at mars!

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Yay, it worked. The reason why the correction burn did not work was because the Src was still set to Earth... With the correct settings I finally managed to bring the Deepstar into a low Mars orbit.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

What's more, I also managed to land one of the DGs at Olympus. That was weird, never flew in Mars atmosphere. And LandMFD always results in CTDs on my machine so I had to do it manually. Wasn't so hard after finding our how to maneuver there.

As for TransX -- no I haven't tried that so far. I saw most used IMFD so I began reading those tutorials. Many functions still remain a mystery to me but i'll work it out. :lol:

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Manual reentries into Mars surface is VERY easy. I have even used Vertial engines to do a landing